Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Oh please help me with my HVAC quotes

I promise not to rhyme any more but some help would be a score. If we find your help valuable enough in our decision, I may even send you a gift card for beer.
    We are in the process of getting bids for a new HVAC system. About us: 3000 sq ft 2-story house in southern Maryland. We currently have a propane furnace with AC unit. No heat pump. We are considering a hybrid but also wondering if we should just go heat pump. Our crystal ball is broke so we are not sure how long we will be here. We do have a full gas tank with about Removed Pricing worth of propane in it - but we won't really factor that in our decision. The only other thing on gas is our oven.

Here are our quotes:

Quote 1:

Heat Pump: Carrier 25HNB648
    Furnace: Carrier M-58MVC120-20
    Coil: Carrier CNPV6124A

I can't quote the ton, seer or AFUE or btus (assume the 120 is just that). He talked all this stuff and had it in his notes but didn�t put it in the quote. I don't think he is hiding anything just didn't put it on there. I'm not feelin all that well so my google skills aren't producing.

Included in this quote: Complete ToraVac Source Removal System (is this duct cleaning? If so, it is not included and extra
    10 year parts, 2 year labor, 10 year compressor, 20 year heat exchanger warranty

Before rebates, claiming $XXX fed tax credit, $XXXX Carrier rebate, $XXX SMECO (local electric co-op) rebate

Quote 2:

Heat Pump: Carrier 2HBC360W003 2 speed 4.5 � 5 ton
    Furnace: Carrier 58MVC120-20 95% modulating gas valve variable speed fan 120,000 btu
    Coil: Carrier CNPV6024ATA
    Seer: 15

Warranty indicates 10 year limited parts warranty through Carrier
    Company indicates repair or replace free of labor charge any parts on the new system found to be defective for a period of 2 years.

Claiming $XXX tax credit, $XXX Carrier rebate, $XXX SMECO rebate

Quote 3 (same company as #2)

Heat Pump: Carrier 2HBC360W003
    Coil: Carrier CNPV6024ATA

no rebates

Quote 4

Install New 16 Seer Carrier Comfort Series Air Conditioner + Coil with new 90% 120,000 btu gas furnace

Claiming $XXX fed, $XXX SMECO rebates

This guy also pushed a Heil hybrid which we are not entertaining

I'm not sure why the difference in tax credits and rebates from SMECO but might be based on efficiency.

First off which of these units seem appropriate for our situation or are their other options we should be considering. Any insight on the quotes in any shape or form is appreciated. Prices of #1 and #2 were comparable.

From,
    Merrie Beth in somd
    Last edited by HeyBob; 09-20-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Removed rebate pricing etc

Please hit that little "edit" button under your post and remove all prices. Prices are not allowed on this forum. You may want to read the rules before further posting. Somebody will be along soon to answer your questions.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

what kind of labor warranty does each company give? where are the units going to be installed in a crawl space or attic or mechanical closet these all have bearing on the longevity of the unit as a whole...
    catch a man a fish , feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish , ruin a good business opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    Please hit that little "edit" button under your post and remove all prices. Prices are not allowed on this forum. You may want to read the rules before further posting. Somebody will be along soon to answer your questions.
    Whooooops, sorry, read them the other day but failed to pay attention today. Edited.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyhall.tech.sc View Post
    what kind of labor warranty does each company give? where are the units going to be installed in a crawl space or attic or mechanical closet these all have bearing on the longevity of the unit as a whole...
    Quote 1: 2 years labor; he did also have this:
    If the compressor in your ac fails once in the first 5 years install a new outside unit; if the heat exchanger in your furnace fails in first 10 years we will install a new furnace; depending on the system guarantee savings of 10-35% will refund double the difference of your savings not realized during the first year; if your system breaks down in the first year leaving you without heating or cooling and they fail same day repair we receive $500, same if they don't have it operating on the day promised.

Quote 2 doesn't seem to indicate in writing - thanks for the heads up, we'll want to see this.

This will be downstairs in a mechanical closet just next to outdoor wall which is where the compressor is.

Appreciate your time and insight!

Maybe this is just me, but a 120K furnace raises my eyebrows a bit... I'm not sure based on what I read that you need that much junk in your trunk.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Just so you are comparing apples to apples, Heil premium equipment is the same as Carrier.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

did any of them perform a manual J on this structure?

or did i miss it in the post?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

High!

120,000 furnace; that seems high considering you are in Maryland. For example, up here a 60,000 can be enough for a 3000sq ft new house and maybe a 80,000 for a 50 year old house!! It seem very Questionable?
    Just don't let them oversize, it really does matter.
    And I haven't even mentioned the cooling load yet.

equipment seems oversized to me too. I would ask your contractors to do a load calc. to be sure you get properly sized equipment

We have asked several folks regarding the size of the unit and feel confident that 5 ton is needed based on the layout and size of the house - and in order to get a match the 120btu Carrier unit is necessary.

Can I throw one more in the mix?

Amana 18 seer Heat Pump ASZ18 with AMV 95 (might be 96) - 115 btu. Amana 5 ton cooling coil.

This unit is coming in quite a bit lower than the others, so what gives? Is Amana compromising on quality?

Thanks again for all the input

Merribeth

I prefer the Carrier over the Amana.

And with the Carrier I would not go over the MVC 100 K model furnace without some supporting document like a Man J load calc.

IMO

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast