I have 2 Carrier units, a 3 ton upstairs model # 38BRCO36340 and a 3 1/2 ton downstairs. House was built in 2004 and we bought 1 1/2 years ago so do not know about routine maintance. I suspect there was none since the ac filters were beyond filthy when we purchased the house.

Last summer had to replace capacitors on both units. Now the upstairs unit coil has a large hole, which I have had confirmed by 2 companies. The coil is well over $0000 to replace which I consider a lot of money. Should I replace the entire unit since there will be no guarantee the condensor or something will not go out next week on this unit?

I am considering several options, just the coil (with the killer installation fee); a new "builder type" compressor and coil (keeping current heater); or getting a new higher seer unit complete with new heater like a Trane 16 or 20. I have been doing research all day long and I am very, very confused. I would truly appreciate some input on what I should do?

I do not want to waste all of that money on a coil if I have to replace something else next year. Also, my husband loves the Trane brand, so any input on that would be appreciated too.

We live in Houston, Texas btw so you know we need our ac units!!
Thanks for any help.