Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How To Lose Out on a Job

Be at least 30 minutes late to your scheduled visit with the Owner.

Act like a load calc is a waste of your time.

Act like you know everything and the Owner knows nothing about HVAC.

Include unnecessary extras in your proposal that the Owner really doesn't need.

Suggest that other firms that sell & install the same product line may be on the verge of going out of business, leaving the Owner high & dry for warranty work. Refuse to name names. Scare the Owner.

Suggest that anyone submitting a lower bid than yours, for the same job and same equipment, will do inherently inferior work.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPlay View Post

Suggest that other firms that sell & install the same product line may be on the verge of going out of business, leaving the Owner high & dry for warranty work. Refuse to name names. Scare the Owner.
    This is actually possible, I have had this happen a lot in my area where I end up having to charge somebody for repairs because the company went out of business. While they should not scare you this is something to be aware of. However I don't really know how you would ever check to know if another company is going under except calling their supplier and ensuring bills are always paid on time(which I have had my customers do before)

Suggest that anyone submitting a lower bid than yours, for the same job and same equipment, will do inherently inferior work.
    This can be very true too, equipment is only part of the equation, however in this case I think "this" guy is the guy that is doing the inferior work when he is gawking at a load calc and shows up late.

I am glad you did not choose this person they sound like they don't have a clue! I am curious if he was the low bidder on the job? I have a competitor in my area that acts like this and is usually the low bidder but i have came in after him when customers literally stopped him during his presentation and kicked him out of the house.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    This is actually possible, I have had this happen a lot in my area where I end up having to charge somebody for repairs because the company went out of business. While they should not scare you this is something to be aware of. However I don't really know how you would ever check to know if another company is going under except calling their supplier and ensuring bills are always paid on time(which I have had my customers do before)

This can be very true too, equipment is only part of the equation, however in this case I think "this" guy is the guy that is doing the inferior work when he is gawking at a load calc and shows up late.

I am glad you did not choose this person they sound like they don't have a clue! I am curious if he was the low bidder on the job? I have a competitor in my area that acts like this and is usually the low bidder but i have came in after him when customers literally stopped him during his presentation and kicked him out of the house.
    Not all the things I listed are attributable to a single person. It's a compilation from multiple individuals.

The last item seems to be more often from higher bidders who are trying to justify their price to the Owner. I understand "you get what you pay for" but that does not mean high bid translates to the highest quality work, and vice-versa.

The last item seems to be more often from higher bidders who are trying to justify their price to the Owner. I understand "you get what you pay for" but that does not mean high bid translates to the highest quality work, and vice-versa.
    Most high bidders don't understand the paradigm shift of going from high bidder to low bidder. Sometimes the lowest bid will talk about don't go with cheap when they are the cheap one LOL. I just can't figure out why people won't SHOW what they do different instead of just saying low bid is bad they are going to do it wrong. Its such a cop out, until that person is the low bid.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

don't forget those lien waivers (even from suppliers) before signing!

Quote Originally Posted by b26440510 View Post
    Can you please describe exactly what a lien waiver is, and how one should ask for it?

Quote Originally Posted by b26440510 View Post
    please read and understand the AOP forum rules before posting.

professional member * only are allowed to reply advice.

Thanks
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Can you please describe exactly what a lien waiver is, and how one should ask for it?
    I would like a pro with a * to answer this question also. Why is it important to a homeowner?
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    I would like a pro with a * to answer this question also. Why is it important to a homeowner?
    It depends on the homeowners local, and state laws on how the waiver works or if you can even do such.

i think anyone here with basic computer knowledge can do a short google search and get the jist of what it's all about
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    If employees are not paid- and they worked on the customer's house, employee can come after HO for wages- even if HO paid contractor in full.

On equipment- if it's delivered to the jobsite & contractor doesn't pay the bill- supplier can come back to HO for equipment costs.

Laws will vary state-to-state.

http://www.sjhousing.org/program/homerepair/lien.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    If employees are not paid- and they worked on the customer's house, employee can come after HO for wages- even if HO paid contractor in full.

On equipment- if it's delivered to the jobsite & contractor doesn't pay the bill- supplier can come back to HO for equipment costs.

Laws will vary state-to-state.

http://www.sjhousing.org/program/homerepair/lien.pdf
    That is some very good stuff for a homeowner to know! Thanks for posting it.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

A good, reliable company will do a load calculation and present a proposal to do the work and if requested they will give references and very rarely will they even mention another company, let alone bad mouth anyone because good companies don't make others look bad, they just stand on past good work and show you how they intend it do a thorough, professional job installing a unit that will keep you and your family comfortable and happy and they let the other companies show whether they are credible or not.

some people never have any contact with a hvac company until there unit craps out and needs replaced then they a scrambling around trying to find a competent contractor to replace it .this is just one of many reasons to have your unit serviced 2 times a year this way you have contact with a service company and I gives you a read on the way they do business and how they respond to your needs and it gives you a chance to weed out the less than desirable contractors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast