Help IDing an old unit please

I hope I am posting correctly, first time.

I assist a small private school in Northern California with their site needs. We have a classroom which is a 3 piece manufactured building from about 1969. Late last spring a strong smell of natural gas was noted and our HVAC professional found a burnt out heat exchanger. Problem is the unit was painted the year before and all the data blocks are illegible. I did peel off one and was able to read Coleman, backwards, from the back. Our professional's parts supplier has not been able to help. I am posting these photos in the hopes that someone can identify this model. This is heat only. The A/C is mounted below the heater. Thanks.

Looks like maybe a MGP series outdoor furnace from say 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Looks like maybe a MGP series outdoor furnace from say 15 years ago.
    Thanks. The building was placed in 1995, and I don't think the heating was upgraded at that time. It is definitely a Coleman.........is that similar to a MGP or a Coleman model?

That is the Coleman model ID. Would need to know the BTUs or at least the number of "cells" in the heat exchanger.

why not just put strip heat in the wall mount below it?

Quote Originally Posted by chillerout1 View Post
    why not just put strip heat in the wall mount below it?
    Is that electric heat? About how much?

Yes, strip heat is electric heat. If you can determine the BTU's of the old furnace and divide the BTU's by 3.413, you'll get the watts. You should have a load calculation done though.

The electrical will probably have to be increased if you go this route.

Don't do it. If something goes wrong and your building burns down your insurance company will most likely tell you to pound sand because you modified the unit and voided it's listing.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

If the wall pack is designed to have electric strip heat added, that's not the type of modification that will void its listing and there's nothing wrong with doing it as long as the manufacturers instructions are followed.

This should only be done by a licensed HVAC company.

I am discussing with my professional coming out and trying to figure out the size of the exchanger.
    If we cannot figure this out we will probably install a Cozy direct vent wall unit. There is already one in the building, and this Coleman unit was usually used just to get the thermometer off the peg first thing in the morning. A second Cozy on the other end of the room (it is about 900 sq feet), will probably do the job. It doesn't get real cold here (barely freezing at worst, overnight).