Help choosing new system - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The unit will be right outside my daughters bedroom. The old unit we had made some noise that you could hear from her room but nothing extremely loud (until a few weeks ago when it started making a horrible noise that you could really hear from her room). Will the Goodman make more noise than the old Trane unit we have out there?

Quote Originally Posted by JSkyTx View Post
    The unit will be right outside my daughters bedroom. The old unit we had made some noise that you could hear from her room but nothing extremely loud (until a few weeks ago when it started making a horrible noise that you could really hear from her room). Will the Goodman make more noise than the old Trane unit we have out there?
    As you'll see here in the threads, there are differing opinions as to what is normal and how loud loud is. I can tell you that the Trane we replaced was quieter than the Goodman we replaced it with. But I don't think it was brand that made the difference - I think it was technology - the way older systems operate (with piston compressors) was different than the newer ones, so that is why I think I notice the noise more now. It's loud enough that I'm paying my contractor to come back out and move it away from our window before winter comes.

Despite where you place your compressor, if I were in your shoes I'd give a very hard look at investing in a unit with a smarter defrost initiation system. My Goodman MUST defrost every 30,60, or 90 minutes of run time (in heat mode), whether it needs it or not. Other systems have sensors that can detect whether a defrost is actually needed and only initiate it when necessary. Down in Texas, where you are more likely to need it less often and not have the same kind of outdoor temps as we have here, it may need to defrost much less often. There are many good reasons to minimize defrost cycling besides just noise too.

On both issues (noise and frequency) I would certainly run them by my contractor and not rest the point until I was sure he explained why you do or do not need to be concerned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12