My trusty Trane HP died!--a lesson in Extended Warranties - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    7-10 days for a compressor isn't bad on a 9 year old unit.

What if I told you, some manufacturers can provide that same 10 year warranty, ALONG with a 5 day maximum waiting period for all parts. The cost of said warranty is 5X, compared to X.

It's the money game. How much should we charge for this service, so that we can break even.

What if I told you that they could have the compressor to you within 5 days, but the compressor is a still in the original packing, 10 year old compressor?

This warranty would cost you 3X.

Or, you can have the 7-10 day waiting period on 10 year old parts for a new compressor, for X.
    Pesonally I would pay a premium for a premium product with premium support regardless of who builds it and where it's built.

However, what we end up doing is paying premium prices for so-so products with mediocre support, and then defending one and all for their mediocrity--kind of silly to defend the indefensibile.

Should all the manufactuers be on the hook to supply parts in a timely manner (several days at most) for at least the duration of their extended warranties--yep, they should, but what's their motivation to do so--absolutely nothing minus some type of consumer protection legislation.

These manufactuer's are more or less indistinguishable from one another--I had almost 9 years out of the Trane system and the compressor was only the final chapter. As I said in the beginning, Trane spent 4X $'s trying to get this system to work and keep it working prior to the compressor failing, so in the end I gave them a break on the compressor.

Also as I said before, time will tell with Carrier....it would have been kind of silly to give Trane any more of my $'s though given the last 9 years.

Still throwing Trane under the bus.
    I'm waiting 3 weeks now for a coil drain pan from Carrier.
    Carrier won't pay freight on your new system warranty parts either.

carrier builds a fine product as does Trane. did your contractor offer you a window unit or a spot cooler while waiting for the part

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    carrier builds a fine product as does Trane. did your contractor offer you a window unit or a spot cooler while waiting for the part
    That was my exact thought while reading this thread. I don't know why this was not optioned to you. At leat one unit for your bedroom and maybe one for the den/tv area. This would have shown some assistance from your contractor.
    Doug

This has been my experience with Trane warranty compressor lead times. It is like when I order computers, it will be 7-10 days. Then the thing shows up in 2.
    Actually expedited at my expense many parts only to have 2 parts show up at the same time, one I express shipped and the original one I called about and both orders were put through. For my customers, on systems I sell, I will usually eat the shipping cost. If they have kept up on the maintenance. Although MANY times my dist. covers it somehow.
    Part of this just doesn't make sense, you aren't willing to fork out shipping but are willing to spend so much for a new system.
    Most compressor failures can be prevented. Lot's of external things to cause a compressor failure. One of the top one's being poor airflow. Not Trane's fault but they and many mfg's cover them anyway.

It also happens with other brands. Went on a no heat call last winter to find a heat exchanger split open. Part was still under warranty but had to come from the factory and was told it would be 3 weeks, no option of paying extra for faster delivery. We can tough out a no cool but no heat in the dead of winter is asking for frozen pipes and water damage. Needless to say our customer chose the same option that you did,replace with another brand.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    It also happens with other brands. Went on a no heat call last winter to find a heat exchanger split open. Part was still under warranty but had to come from the factory and was told it would be 3 weeks, no option of paying extra for faster delivery. We can tough out a no cool but no heat in the dead of winter is asking for frozen pipes and water damage. Needless to say our customer chose the same option that you did,replace with another brand.
    I didn't start this thread with the purpose of it turning into a Trane vs. XYZ festival. If a manufactuer can't provide parts in a timely manner, then warranties/extended warranties are worthless and the buying public should be asking those kinds of questions when they are shopping brands/service companies (in addition to product features, performance, price, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    This has been my experience with Trane warranty compressor lead times. It is like when I order computers, it will be 7-10 days. Then the thing shows up in 2.
    Actually expedited at my expense many parts only to have 2 parts show up at the same time, one I express shipped and the original one I called about and both orders were put through. For my customers, on systems I sell, I will usually eat the shipping cost. If they have kept up on the maintenance. Although MANY times my dist. covers it somehow.
    Part of this just doesn't make sense, you aren't willing to fork out shipping but are willing to spend so much for a new system.
    Most compressor failures can be prevented. Lot's of external things to cause a compressor failure. One of the top one's being poor airflow. Not Trane's fault but they and many mfg's cover them anyway.
    As stated above, pay now, pay later, pay regardless--given the system's problems since day 1, why would I spend $0.01 on this system (including 1.5X $'s for expedited shipping with no firm delivery date)?

Regarding maintenance, it was well maintained and cleaned regularly, etc., etc. I noticed in the weeks leading up to the compressor failure that it had a certain "rattle" when it started, but it was always somewhat noisey.

You keep missing the whole point about "independent" Trane, Carrier Lennox etc. manufacture the equipment. Your independent contractor installs all of the components and should verify to you that it has been installed properly by bench marking the installation.

Your independent dealer had four chances to get your system right at the exspense of Trane.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    You keep missing the whole point about "independent" Trane, Carrier Lennox etc. manufacture the equipment. Your independent contractor installs all of the components and should verify to you that it has been installed properly by bench marking the installation.

Your independent dealer had four chances to get your system right at the exspense of Trane.
    Well, that's the problem isn't it--the end user doesn't really care about "independent contractors", etc.--they just want the system to work and the manufactuer of the equipment is part of the situation whether they want to be or not.

and with problems "since day 1" that indicates an installation issue over an equipment issue. You'll find out if the same installation practices where preformed on your 100X more sensitive Infinity system you'll be in the same boat, just painted a different color.

And going back to providing parts in a timely manner. The unit is 10years old and no longer in production. Find parts for TV's that are 10yo, or parts for even a car that's 10yo and your going to find out that it's going to be a wait over something that is being produced on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by cuchulain View Post
    and with problems "since day 1" that indicates an installation issue over an equipment issue. You'll find out if the same installation practices where preformed on your 100X more sensitive Infinity system you'll be in the same boat, just painted a different color.

And going back to providing parts in a timely manner. The unit is 10years old and no longer in production. Find parts for TV's that are 10yo, or parts for even a car that's 10yo and your going to find out that it's going to be a wait over something that is being produced on a daily basis.
    Nope--the system was 8 yrs and 11 months old, so like it or not, Trane was on the hook to fix or replace the system for another 1 yr and 1 month. If they can't provide parts for systems that they still warranty, then one could question their business practices, which I am.

I guess it's a good thing were not talking parachutes here.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast