Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Maybe I am missing something here, but you more than got your moneys worth with the extended warranty, and they were even still willing to install a new compressor under it (part&labor). That was going to be another big ticket item that they were willing to cover. As it turns out there was going to be a delay in delivery of the needed part/s which I understand is frustrating this time of the year. However you had the option of paying for expedited shipping to get the part sooner, and you balked because you thought it should be covered by someone else. Then instead of paying a small amount of money for faster shipping, you spring for a whole new system which probably cost 50-100X times what the shipping would have cost you to keep your old system running?

I have heard of some horror stories with extended warranty's with other products like cars, but it sounds like you had a great deal with yours. As others have said, you cannot expect anyone to stock every part for every model made, especially one from a decade ago. If I understand the story correctly, it seems as if you made a poor choice and got angry. I think some in your position would look at it much differently.
    I have to agree here. It sounds like in spite of a string of needed repairs Trane stood by their warranty and willing to make the repair at no or minimum cost to you. I can understand the frustration at not having some parts readily available, everyone in here deals with that as a basic part of this business. I also get frustrated when I have to wait at the dealership service department while a pretty common part is ordered for 7-10 business days for my service van. That is the way things are sometimes, and while I sympathize with your dry-mouthedness, you just gotta roll with the punches sometimes.

I hope you are pleased with your new system, albeit an expensive solution to a 7-10 day problem. Divide the total cost of your new system by 10 days and figure out how much you are paying to avoid 10 days of inconvienence. Window units are a lot cheaper...
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTechNC View Post
    I have to agree here. It sounds like in spite of a string of needed repairs Trane stood by their warranty and willing to make the repair at no or minimum cost to you. I can understand the frustration at not having some parts readily available, everyone in here deals with that as a basic part of this business. I also get frustrated when I have to wait at the dealership service department while a pretty common part is ordered for 7-10 business days for my service van. That is the way things are sometimes, and while I sympathize with your dry-mouthedness, you just gotta roll with the punches sometimes.

I hope you are pleased with your new system, albeit an expensive solution to a 7-10 day problem. Divide the total cost of your new system by 10 days and figure out how much you are paying to avoid 10 days of inconvienence. Window units are a lot cheaper...
    The only real rule with HVAC is pay now or pay later--either way, you will pay. I got a good deal (relatively speaking) by paying now.

Quote Originally Posted by hamltnh View Post
    The only real rule with HVAC is pay now or pay later--either way, you will pay. I got a good deal (relatively speaking) by paying now.
    Kinda like cars, boats, houses, airplanes, etc....

Makes sense then

A. Did you read the extended warranty before buying it? It is clearly stated about the shipping of parts.
    B. Trane will not ship compressors except by motor freight which takes longer. Reason being is there is oil in the compressor and it must remain upright. Trane ships multiple items at one time to the distributors - not one part at a time. This keeps their costs down.

Not so....I've collected on several extended warranties over the years (autos). This is the first time that I've run into the siutation where a repair is covered, but the availiability of the part is in question. This gives me another question to ask, i.e. "what is the timeframe in which the manufactuer will provide parts under the extended warranty". As regards the new Carrier system, that question was answered to my satisfaction.
    After dealing with many other brands warranties all I can say is that Trane far and away is the BEST as far as paying me, taking care of customers, getting parts on time and many other factors.

I am glad you are happy with your new Carrier, if you plan on living at a house a long time a new system can make sense, not to mention you will probably be more comfortable with the new equipment and doing something good for the environment with a new refrigerant and high efficiency equipment.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    I am glad you are happy with your new Carrier, if you plan on living at a house a long time a new system can make sense, not to mention you will probably be more comfortable with the new equipment and doing something good for the environment with a new refrigerant and high efficiency equipment.
    That's kind of the way I saw it--long-term, efiiciency, restart the 10 year time clock, etc.

Too soon to tell about Carrier--we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyhere View Post
    A. Did you read the extended warranty before buying it? It is clearly stated about the shipping of parts.
    B. Trane will not ship compressors except by motor freight which takes longer. Reason being is there is oil in the compressor and it must remain upright. Trane ships multiple items at one time to the distributors - not one part at a time. This keeps their costs down.
    A.--Yes, but 2+ weeks is a long time

B.--Makes me wonder how they were going to "expedite" it and why it would cost $$$'s

cant address your specific warranty issues, but it does seem obvious that many companies (not just HVAC) are still living in the "pre-internet" days, believing that one upset customer cant really damage their reputation that much.

Used to be one upset customer would tell 10 friends, now they can tell thousands. Impacts national as well as local businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyhere View Post

I was thinking this since post number 3.

hamltnh, want to know why it costs so much go to UPS or FEDEX and enter the info and check costs and times.

as has been said, no mfr covers freight.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

B.--Makes me wonder how they were going to "expedite" it and why it would cost $$$'s
    instead of making a large delivery to the distributor it would basically have been JUST your compressor. Thereby costing more to ship because it would have been an unscheduled delivery.

I've been dealing with Trane/American Standard for a good 14 years. They have probably one of the best extended warranties around. I will guarantee you that if your compressor on the carrier goes out in 9 years that you will have to wait at a minimum 2 weeks for a new one.

See things have changed alot in the 10 years you've had your unit. Especially in the form of compressors, and it is quite possible that they would have to manufacture one and that's why it had to come from the factory, or it was one that was sent back from a distributor that was unused but no-longer deemed as a necessary product to keep around due to it sitting around.

"I disagree about this not being Trane's fault--in fact the FSR comment was that the delay in providing the part was due to it being "old equipment" requiring R22--really as B.S. response."

This statement about the delay being due to it being an R22 compressor is quite true. R22 and R410 require different oils in them and are assembled in just a slightly different manner, and if it did have to be manufactured then Trane would have to reset the equipment to accommodate that difference.

At 10 years you got your money's worth out of your system especially with the warranty and you actually using it. The little bit of time of lost AC is nothing to if you did NOT have the warranty and had to pay for the previous repairs yourself.

Each manufacture has inventory problems, and even newer systems there is sometimes a wait for parts. Point in fact with a carrier that was installed a couple of months ago, the house had a major power problem and it fried a motor. Well it was a 4 day wait for us to get this motor on a system that is only a couple of months old. So just be informed that it's not just Trane having inventory problems on 10 year old systems, but everyone even on new equipment.

Just a FYI. *disclaimer*I work for Trane commercial, and in some respects, they handle the commercial side different from the Residential side.
    That being said, here are a few points I think need to be made with while reading this thread.
    1. Trane's main parts warehouse is in Tennessee. This is where ALL their parts are shipped from. If the compressor is in stock in the warehouse, you would have likely had it within 3-4 days. If it had to be ordered from the manufacturer (either the factory of their supplier) , you likely could have had to wait the 7-10 days for it.
    2. I have found that the parts center will tell you 7-10 days especially if the part is not in stock in the TN warehouse, but it will usually take less time than that.
    3. It is Trane's policy to cover the warranty parts, but any expedited shipping costs must be paid by the consumer.
    As a side note, I have had to pay $500 shipping for an $80 fan wheel to be flown in (from LaCrosse, WI) during a holiday weekend on a warranty call. The customer had to pay the overtime rate and expedited shipping due to it not being covered by warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Maybe I am missing something here, but you more than got your moneys worth with the extended warranty, and they were even still willing to install a new compressor under it (part&labor). That was going to be another big ticket item that they were willing to cover. As it turns out there was going to be a delay in delivery of the needed part/s which I understand is frustrating this time of the year. However you had the option of paying for expedited shipping to get the part sooner, and you balked because you thought it should be covered by someone else. Then instead of paying a small amount of money for faster shipping, you spring for a whole new system which probably cost 50-100X times what the shipping would have cost you to keep your old system running?

I have heard of some horror stories with extended warranty's with other products like cars, but it sounds like you had a great deal with yours. As others have said, you cannot expect anyone to stock every part for every model made, especially one from a decade ago. If I understand the story correctly, it seems as if you made a poor choice and got angry. I think some in your position would look at it much differently.
    I would have to agree with you, it's been 9 years, 4 warranty repairs ain't bad with a compressor replacement approved. I've waited for 7 days for a Trane HP compressor to be delivered under warranty, what are you gonna do. Personally I'd have paid the extra out of my own pocket for faster shipping.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

7-10 days for a compressor isn't bad on a 9 year old unit.

What if I told you, some manufacturers can provide that same 10 year warranty, ALONG with a 5 day maximum waiting period for all parts. The cost of said warranty is 5X, compared to X.

It's the money game. How much should we charge for this service, so that we can break even.

What if I told you that they could have the compressor to you within 5 days, but the compressor is a still in the original packing, 10 year old compressor?

This warranty would cost you 3X.

Or, you can have the 7-10 day waiting period on 10 year old parts for a new compressor, for X.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast