Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 53
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    3,448
    My opinion, your repeated issues w/ Trane equipment probably goes back to the installing contractor. It is NOT like buying a car. A car comes assembled, gassed up & ready to drive. Your system comes as a box of parts which the installing contractor can either make or break your system. Sounds like you've had many issues w/ equipment over the years. Very sad but I feel your gripe should be redirected at the installing contractor. Did he follow proper installation procedures? Did he evacuate the system? Have you had to periodocally recharge the system due to a leak?
    Now you are missing time off work because the independent contractor failing to perform accurate diagnosis & this is Trane's fault?
    You need to pick better qualified contractors.

    You could insert "Carrier" in this thread if you don't carefully choose your contractor.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. VA.
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Here again it was not Trane that had to come up with a compressor they have plenty it was your dealer that had to produce a compressor and did not.
    Incorrect, Trane (The Trane field service rep. and Customer relations) stated that the compressor had to come from the factory in Tenn. I have no idea of why that was the case and suspect they had to dust off the drawings and manufacture one. Perhaps the factory is where Trane carries their inventory--don't know if that is the case or not.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. VA.
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    My opinion, your repeated issues w/ Trane equipment probably goes back to the installing contractor. It is NOT like buying a car. A car comes assembled, gassed up & ready to drive. Your system comes as a box of parts which the installing contractor can either make or break your system. Sounds like you've had many issues w/ equipment over the years. Very sad but I feel your gripe should be redirected at the installing contractor. Did he follow proper installation procedures? Did he evacuate the system? Have you had to periodocally recharge the system due to a leak?
    Now you are missing time off work because the independent contractor failing to perform accurate diagnosis & this is Trane's fault?
    You need to pick better qualified contractors.

    You could insert "Carrier" in this thread if you don't carefully choose your contractor.
    I would tend to agree with you. My only real gripe at this point is Trane's inability to provide the compressor in anything close to a timely manner. The long sordid history of the system is a story for another day.

  4. #17
    Chris_Worthington's Avatar
    Chris_Worthington is offline Controls Committee & Global Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mount Airy, MD
    Posts
    7,281
    Quote Originally Posted by hamltnh View Post
    Plenty--Trane's local rep. couldn't provide a shipping date for the compressor, expedited or not. The service company did their best to get a straight answer from the distributor and Trane's rep., but couldn't. Likewise, I couldn't get a straight answer from Trane customer relations--so, no straight answers were available from anyone at Trane re. compressor availability beyond what has been stated above.
    I as well am located in the DC area and there are a bunch that are local reps for equipment XY&Z and I can tell you from experience here that we ALL are at the mercy of our vendor(S) meaning just not Trane, but ALL of them....

    Honestly, I wish that anyone one of them would step up to the plate and make things like this not happen

    But the fact is switching manufactures here, is going to give you nothing more then what you have already witnessed.

    Trane in this area IMO is actually better then the others, when it comes to stuff like this....

    I/WE are uncertain as to what maintenance you have had over the years or the problems that you have experienced and the repairs needed....

    I just see this thread as bashing a manufacture and proclaiming that one is better than another, when you have yet to go there yet.

    Really, I sincerely hope that your issues have been resolved and that you can enjoy your comfort with your new installation

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. VA.
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    I as well am located in the DC area and there are a bunch that are local reps for equipment XY&Z and I can tell you from experience here that we ALL are at the mercy of our vendor(S) meaning just not Trane, but ALL of them....

    Honestly, I wish that anyone one of them would step up to the plate and make things like this not happen

    But the fact is switching manufactures here, is going to give you nothing more then what you have already witnessed.

    Trane in this area IMO is actually better then the others, when it comes to stuff like this....

    I/WE are uncertain as to what maintenance you have had over the years or the problems that you have experienced and the repairs needed....

    I just see this thread as bashing a manufacture and proclaiming that one is better than another, when you have yet to go there yet.

    Really, I sincerely hope that your issues have been resolved and that you can enjoy your comfort with your new installation

    Not really out to proclaim one manufactuer is better than another--if you read my initial post, I have had the Carrier system up and running for all of 1 week--time will tell.

    However, I think Manuactuer's should be able to provide just about any part in a reasonable amount of time and I don't think that 7-10 business days (or longer?) was reasonable. I also don't think the Manufactuer was trying very hard in the customer satisfaction area--if they had, I would have went back to them when it came time to replace equipment.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    1,942
    I sell a couple of brands, Trane being one of them and I will tell you the reason I sell a majority Trane is because they do a BETTER job of stocking than Brands C, R and L. This certainly could change by area but for a big thing like this it is normal to take a week. Imagine your car engine dying, do you think they would order a 10 year old car engine and have it in a week or have it in stock? It would take at least a week IMO.

    Maybe you jumped the gun to soon on the equipment, if this independant contractor could not find the problem and you had the same people install a Carrier, I have a feeling we may heard this exact same story from you in 10 years or less about your Carrier unit. This does not appear to be Trane's fault at all.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    S Florida
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by hamltnh View Post
    To make a long story short, I was livid. I called the Trane extended warranty dept. and Trane customer relations and raised holy hell, but to no avail. Finally, I told the service company to get rid of the Trane junk and install a new Carrier Inifinity System.
    Maybe I am missing something here, but you more than got your moneys worth with the extended warranty, and they were even still willing to install a new compressor under it (part&labor). That was going to be another big ticket item that they were willing to cover. As it turns out there was going to be a delay in delivery of the needed part/s which I understand is frustrating this time of the year. However you had the option of paying for expedited shipping to get the part sooner, and you balked because you thought it should be covered by someone else. Then instead of paying a small amount of money for faster shipping, you spring for a whole new system which probably cost 50-100X times what the shipping would have cost you to keep your old system running?

    I have heard of some horror stories with extended warranty's with other products like cars, but it sounds like you had a great deal with yours. As others have said, you cannot expect anyone to stock every part for every model made, especially one from a decade ago. If I understand the story correctly, it seems as if you made a poor choice and got angry. I think some in your position would look at it much differently.

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northern VA 38 degrees N by 76 degrees W
    Posts
    5,058
    Quote Originally Posted by hamltnh View Post
    Not really out to proclaim one manufactuer is better than another--if you read my initial post, I have had the Carrier system up and running for all of 1 week--time will tell.

    However, I think Manuactuer's should be able to provide just about any part in a reasonable amount of time and I don't think that 7-10 business days (or longer?) was reasonable. I also don't think the Manufactuer was trying very hard in the customer satisfaction area--if they had, I would have went back to them when it came time to replace equipment.
    You are correct, a manufacture should be able to provide you with just about any part in a resonable amount of time. One phone call from the FSR could have determined that but apparently that did not happen. The key word here is "independent". The FSR is not an employee of Trane. He is employed and payed by the independent wholesale distributor.

    Did you purchase an extended warranty on the Carrier system and did they install a hybrid system for you?

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. VA.
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    I sell a couple of brands, Trane being one of them and I will tell you the reason I sell a majority Trane is because they do a BETTER job of stocking than Brands C, R and L. This certainly could change by area but for a big thing like this it is normal to take a week. Imagine your car engine dying, do you think they would order a 10 year old car engine and have it in a week or have it in stock? It would take at least a week IMO.

    Maybe you jumped the gun to soon on the equipment, if this independant contractor could not find the problem and you had the same people install a Carrier, I have a feeling we may heard this exact same story from you in 10 years or less about your Carrier unit. This does not appear to be Trane's fault at all.
    Unfortunately, we weren't talking about a week, we were talking about 7-10 business days--i.e. at least 2 weeks, maybe more--no promises and also no promises on just how expedited the expdited delivery might be. I disagree about this not being Trane's fault--in fact the FSR comment was that the delay in providing the part was due to it being "old equipment" requiring R22--really as B.S. response.

    In fact I actually lobbied hard for Trane to provide a credit (what they would have paid for the compressor repair) toward replacement equipment which from my point of view was a very fair request from my end--all I got was a categorical "no"--oh well.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. VA.
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Maybe I am missing something here, but you more than got your moneys worth with the extended warranty, and they were even still willing to install a new compressor under it (part&labor). That was going to be another big ticket item that they were willing to cover. As it turns out there was going to be a delay in delivery of the needed part/s which I understand is frustrating this time of the year. However you had the option of paying for expedited shipping to get the part sooner, and you balked because you thought it should be covered by someone else. Then instead of paying a small amount of money for faster shipping, you spring for a whole new system which probably cost 50-100X times what the shipping would have cost you to keep your old system running?

    I have heard of some horror stories with extended warranty's with other products like cars, but it sounds like you had a great deal with yours. As others have said, you cannot expect anyone to stock every part for every model made, especially one from a decade ago. If I understand the story correctly, it seems as if you made a poor choice and got angry. I think some in your position would look at it much differently.
    I wouldn't say I was angry, just dissapointed--I thought Trane was a stand- up company and I had a very high end Trane system intalled in my parent's home in the Midwest 3 years ago. Given that I had one year left on the extended warranty and, while the compressor was covered (but really inconvenient given the uncertainty in the availability of the compressor), there is no doubt in my mind that the system was going to continue to cost significant $'s to keep running and a year from now the burden would shift from Trane to myself. It was just a matter of spending $'s now vs. later, but either way I was going to be spending $'s--things are slow now and there are some decent rebates/incentives/tax credits available, so it wasn't that difficult of a decision.

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. VA.
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    You are correct, a manufacture should be able to provide you with just about any part in a resonable amount of time. One phone call from the FSR could have determined that but apparently that did not happen. The key word here is "independent". The FSR is not an employee of Trane. He is employed and payed by the independent wholesale distributor.

    Did you purchase an extended warranty on the Carrier system and did they install a hybrid system for you?
    Yes and yes--10 year parts and labor and Infinty Hybrid system.

  12. #25
    Chris_Worthington's Avatar
    Chris_Worthington is offline Controls Committee & Global Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Mount Airy, MD
    Posts
    7,281
    Quote Originally Posted by hamltnh View Post
    Yes and yes--10 year parts and labor and Infinty Hybrid system.
    So all is right in the world and there really was no reason for naming the thread the way you did then, with this newly found knowledge?

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    No. VA.
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    So all is right in the world and there really was no reason for naming the thread the way you did then, with this newly found knowledge?
    Not so....I've collected on several extended warranties over the years (autos). This is the first time that I've run into the siutation where a repair is covered, but the availiability of the part is in question. This gives me another question to ask, i.e. "what is the timeframe in which the manufactuer will provide parts under the extended warranty". As regards the new Carrier system, that question was answered to my satisfaction.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image