Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

My trusty Trane HP died!--a lesson in Extended Warranties

Couple of weeks ago the compressor in my Trane XR12 HP died--had the service company come out and the diagnosis was a shorted compressor. I had the system installed in Oct. 2002 and so the entire system (XR12 HP, Coil, XL80 Furnace, etc.) was still under the Trane 10 year parts + labor extended warranty.

Back in Oct. 2002 I paid X $'s for the extended warranty, and up to the point where the compressor failied, Trane had paid out 4X $'s for warranty repairs. The service company said that the compressor repair was going to cost 10X $'s, but was covered under the extended warranty (parts + labor)--so far, so good. However, a day later, the service company called and said they had spoken with the local Trane distributor and that the compressor was going to have to come from the factory in Tenn. and that it would be 7-10 business days or longer before it would arrive at the service company. However, the local Trane rep. based at the local Trane distributor told the service company that for 1.5X $'s, that the order/shipping could be expedited, but the expediting charge would not be covered under the extended warranty--I would have to pay that to get the compressor in a "timely" (but "timely" being undefined beyond being quicker than 7-10 business days or longer).

To make a long story short, I was livid. I called the Trane extended warranty dept. and Trane customer relations and raised holy hell, but to no avail. Finally, I told the service company to get rid of the Trane junk and install a new Carrier Inifinity System.

So all is good at the moment with the new Carrier system...However, I learned an important lesson about manufactuer's extended warranties--they are worthless if the manufactuer can't/won't supply parts in a timely manner. Also, no more Trane junk for me.... From what I've read in these forums, it appears that Trane has a problem with being able to maintain an inventory of parts as well as basic quality control of the product coming out of their factories. That's a shame--I used to believe they made a good product.

I would be willing to bet that you where not given the whole truth. I believe that you where dealing with an independent wholesale distributor, and they only stock what they want to. It has nothing to do with Trane.

They still make a good product. As far as inventory they all have their issues. I've waited as much as six months for a Carrier condenser coil for a package unit that was a week old. Locally we have fewer issues with the local distributors with Trane than any others. If the local distributor doesn't stock that compressor, raising "holy hell" with the extended warranty dept may have been mis directed.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTex View Post
    They still make a good product. As far as inventory they all have their issues. I've waited as much as six months for a Carrier condenser coil for a package unit that was a week old. Locally we have fewer issues with the local distributors with Trane than any others. If the local distributor doesn't stock that compressor, raising "holy hell" with the extended warranty dept may have been mis directed.
    Exactly!

I do not know of "any" manufacture that has every last OEM part sitting on their shelf locally, it's simply not possible.

And complaining about>>
    Back in Oct. 2002 I paid X $'s for the extended warranty, and up to the point where the compressor failied, Trane had paid out 4X $'s for warranty repairs
    and having to wait for it to be shipped in from another location, with the OPTION of having it expedited that never was and never will be a part of any manufactures warranty at your discretion is the part that upsets you?

At least they offered this option, would it have been better if they did not?

Things are the way they are, when comes to OEM parts....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    I do not know of "any" manufacture that has every last OEM part sitting on their shelf locally, it's simply not possible.

And complaining about>> and having to wait for it to be shipped in from another location, with the OPTION of having it expedited that never was and never will be a part of any manufactures warranty at your discretion is the part that upsets you?

At least they offered this option, would it have been better if they did not?

Things are the way they are, when comes to OEM parts....
    Unlike automobiles where an extended warranty or insurance poilcy often covers a rental/loaner car during an protracted repair event, not so with HVAC...so, in my opinion, from a consumer protection point-of-view, a reputable manufactuer should have so many days (2, 3, etc.) to provide required repair parts for so many years from date of manufacture of the equipment.

My personal opinion is that given the repair history of this system, Trane wanted to make it as difficult as possible with the hope that I would do exactly what I did--replace the system. In that sense, they succeeded and managed to close the books on my system--a short-term gain for them at best.

Quote Originally Posted by hamltnh View Post
    Unlike automobiles where an extended warranty or insurance poilcy often covers a rental/loaner car during an protracted repair event, not so with HVAC...so, in my opinion, from a consumer protection point-of-view, a reputable manufactuer should have so many days (2, 3, etc.) to provide required repair parts for so many years from date of manufacture of the equipment.

My personal opinion is that given the repair history of this system, Trane wanted to make it as difficult as possible with the hope that I would do exactly what I did--replace the system. In that sense, they succeeded and managed to close the books on my system--a short-term gain for them at best.
    I guess were gonna have to agree to disagree here....

Using your example of an automobile where the use of a rental car is available, there is no rental compressor's or many other parts that are available for rent/use while your system is down, simple fact.

For a local manufacture to house "ALL" of the OEM equipment and parts for every last thing they sell and support for NOT only their residential products, but their Commercial and Industrial products as well. They would need a warehouse far larger then the state of Texas to do so.

I would give them credit where credit is do, as by your posting they were there for you for many many years.

JMHO

I would give them credit where credit is do, as by your posting they were there for you for many many years.

JMHO
    Now that's an interesting comment...we'll have to agree to disagree...while they may have spent 4X $'s repairing my system the last 9 years, I spent several times that in lost days waiting for service folks to show up and make their repairs, at least half of which were improper diagnoses of the problems and unnecessary repairs.

Similar to automobiles, the best HVAC system is the one that is manufactured/installed properly from the start and only requires routine maintenance during it's life--the Trane system I had was defeinitely problematic from day one, but that's not really my primiary gripe. There's really no defense for not being able to give a customer a definitive date of when the part will arrive at service company, expedited or not.

Now that's an interesting comment...we'll have to agree to disagree...while they may have spent 4X $'s repairing my system the last 9 years, I spent several times that in lost days waiting for service folks to show up and make their repairs, at least half of which were improper diagnoses of the problems and unnecessary repairs.

Similar to automobiles, the best HVAC system is the one that is manufactured/installed properly from the start and only requires routine maintenance during it's life--the Trane system I had was defeinitely problematic from day one, but that's not really my primiary gripe. There's really no defense for not being able to give a customer a definitive date of when the part will arrive at service company, expedited or not.
    As I tried to help you out with before, Trane manufactured your unit, the independent wholsale distributor and your independent dealer are suppose to stock the parts to repair the system. The IHD could have given you a date for the compressor to be delivered. I believe your installing dealer was the one that wanted you to replace the system because they could not determine why you where having problems that Trane was picking up the tab for.

Are you north west of Leesburg?

Well now I see us as getting some place?

The manufacture TRANE had what to do with the local contractor not showing up and giving you the desired service?

Well now I see us as getting some place?

The manufacture TRANE had what to do with the local contractor not showing up and giving you the desired service?
    Plenty--Trane's local rep. couldn't provide a shipping date for the compressor, expedited or not. The service company did their best to get a straight answer from the distributor and Trane's rep., but couldn't. Likewise, I couldn't get a straight answer from Trane customer relations--so, no straight answers were available from anyone at Trane re. compressor availability beyond what has been stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    As I tried to help you out with before, Trane manufactured your unit, the independent wholsale distributor and your independent dealer are suppose to stock the parts to repair the system. The IHD could have given you a date for the compressor to be delivered. I believe your installing dealer was the one that wanted you to replace the system because they could not determine why you where having problems that Trane was picking up the tab for.

Are you north west of Leesburg?
    Actually, I approached the service company about replacing the system rather than waiting on Trane to come up with a compressor, not the other way around.

Here again it was not Trane that had to come up with a compressor they have plenty it was your dealer that had to produce a compressor and did not.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast