Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pro assistance in sizing AC for my residential home

have contacted several AC contractors to quote and give requirements for my 2000 sq. ft. home that will be open cell foamed insulated. don't feel confident they are familiar with houses that are foam insulated. Got answers from heat pump to 2 speed to 2 stage to convential to dehumidifier needed. Each one had different units that they say I need.. going crazy..... would like to feel more confident with someone ?

I live in New Orleans metrp area so summers or tough but winters not so bad.
    It seems that my foamed house is new to many A/C companies I have talked to....I only say this because of the difference in equipment recommended.
    THANKS

www.energywisestructures.com

Too easy to oversize in a tight home. The ventilating dehumidifier may be needed too. I have a friend here who needed one despite 2 stage Infinity equipment.

White Paper from Huntsman Spray Foam, "Proper Design of HVAC Systems for Spray Foam Homes"
    Attached Images Attached Images

We usually almost always install two stage heat pump systems in all foam houses in the new Orleans area. The DHUM works well on days when mechanical cooling isn't really needed. I work for a small company in the area and would be happy to supply you with the TWO BEST ones in the area. Just remember CHEAP isn't what you want.

If you have problems with finding a hvac contractor
    drop me an email. I know a guy there that teaches hvac
    at one of the trade school and is very current with his hvac company.
    he does some of the best installs I have seen and always
    complies with the program I work with, just wish he were
    in my area!

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Contacted Huntsman ,had them send me pdf of White paper doc.....the link didn't work for me.
    seems like a real good article ..... includes lots of good info.
    THANKS

You will surely need mechanical ventilation with spray foam, you want to size to an ASHRAE 62.2 standard and I highly recommend the Lifebreath ECM motor HRV, however since I am not familiar with your area, I am not sure if you need an HRV or ERV in your climate.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    You will surely need mechanical ventilation with spray foam, you want to size to an ASHRAE 62.2 standard and I highly recommend the Lifebreath ECM motor HRV, however since I am not familiar with your area, I am not sure if you need an HRV or ERV in your climate.
    thanks for your input ..... visited your Youtube site... great.

thanks for all your replies to date........... hope I didn't break any rules.
    will continue to search for company who gives comfort zone ...... was never worried about price as much as installing correct equipment in my newly foamed house down in Louisiana miles from the Gulf of Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by meh70087 View Post
    Removed Quote
    meh70087,

Please read and follow AOP forum rules.

If you are involved in the trade, apply for Professional Membership and AOP (*) status before posting advice in AOP forum.

Thanks.

Thumbs up HRV with HEPA might be appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by pdlandry View Post
    thanks for all your replies to date........... hope I didn't break any rules.
    will continue to search for company who gives comfort zone ...... was never worried about price as much as installing correct equipment in my newly foamed house down in Louisiana miles from the Gulf of Mexico.
    You are dead center in the Very Highest Humidity [based on wet bulb ] region in the whole country !

LA/ Gulf of Mexico area definitely has SPECIAL NEEDS.

Hopefully you have also concentrated on your window selection that will enable your comfort system to efficiently handle the humidity issues.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

A few equipment specs and HRV possibilities for IAQ

http://www.broan.com/ImageLibrary/br.../99044551A.pdf
    x
    http://www.broan.com/display/router....CategoryID=512
    x
    Wish you the best in addressing an Integrated selection of HVAC equipment.
    BaldLoonie in post # 3 provided an appropriate link to service provider who can independently address your needs.
    x
    Dehumidifier ..
    http://www.thermastor.com/Ultra-Aire-UA-90H/
    x
    Note that the A/C needs of foamed houses are generally 30 to 50% less than traditional construction.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast