Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by talktowags View Post
    sooting is usually caused by lack of combustion air, or dirty burners which means that yes it is more than likely spilling Co. You really need to call a pro NOW.
    Talktowags,

Please read and follow AOP forum rules.

Apply for you AOP(*) before posting advice.

Thank you.

And please come back and tell us what happens with it, we like to give advice and all but it's kind of nice to hear what happens....besides I have $10 on the return water temps
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Agreed. One last question. I looked at the operaters manual and it says the chimney requirements need to have a ceramic liner. It is a brick chimney on the outside of the house.

I have not sealed up the house tight lately. Unfortunalely it is about 130 years old, that is almost impossible to keep it draft free.

Thanks for the help. I will be contacting a professional. I'm just trying to do some homework so I don't get it wrong again.

Thanks
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Talktowags,

Please read and follow AOP forum rules.

Apply for you AOP(*) before posting advice.

Thank you.
    Just trying to do some home work. Thanks . The internet and forums work best for quick suggestions on a topic I do not know that much of. These postings have been helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dingman View Post
    Just trying to do some home work. Thanks . The internet and forums work best for quick suggestions on a topic I do not know that much of. These postings have been helpful.
    You did nothing wrong.

You asked a good question and have gotten some good advice.

Thanks Guys. How about instalation issues? Combustable air mix, is this install related? Why did the original chimmey flu pipe rot out? Could this be venting up my chimmey properly? I have it going into my brick chimmey on the outside of the house. I looked down it from the top and it doesn't seem to be plugged.

John
    here is a code ?-is there supposed to be a flue liner in that chimney?

someone with knowledge of your states code will need to chime in
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

There are issues here that need to be addressed. Sooting of any natural gas appliance is not normal and indicates an incomplete combustion problem, also a major source of CO. There vary well may be a chimney issue, combustion air or lack there of, cold return to the boiler causing sweating and subsequent rusting of burners and vents. This just goes on and on. You need a wet head that understands all of these issues and therefore has the solutions.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

I do work in Milford Michigan and I also know that the inspectors in that area when doing an inspection always look for the venting instructions to verify proper installation.

I am wondering if this install was even inspected. No chimney liner? Probably wasn't inspected, just saying.

I am thinking you should hold the original installing contractors feet to the fire on that install.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 09-20-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Agreed. One last question. I looked at the operaters manual and it says the chimney requirements need to have a ceramic liner. It is a brick chimney on the outside of the house.

I have not sealed up the house tight lately. Unfortunalely it is about 130 years old, that is almost impossible to keep it draft free.

Thanks for the help. I will be contacting a professional. I'm just trying to do some homework so I don't get it wrong again.

Thanks
    John
    John, you could do a lot worse than Hey Bob, He would be a great choice to look at your system as long as he is willing. As stated previously by others you need a real professional, not a wanna-be. something about you system's combustion is off and you need things done right to extend the life of your system.

Please take note the that today's modern systems require more training than older systems! the days of shade tree auto mechanics and "handy man" maintenance are a thing of the past.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

I think I will go pay a visit to the original installer. I have a copy of my invoice, it does not say anything about an inspection or chimney liner. I will see what he has to say.

then I will contact HeyBob to get it running right.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

as was asked before, please update this thread, OP or HeyBob, thanks.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Cool chimney liners

When replacing a combustion appliance, the installer has the responsibility to inspect the chimney and ascertain its suitability for the intended use. If you have an unlined chimney then it must be relined-period. The liner must be sized to the appliance and suitable for the intended use.

The vent connectors, too should be properly sized and this is covered in tables located in the code.

If you are still getting sooting after verifying you have the proper size listed chimney liner and have measured the draft to be within mfrs specs or between a certain narrow range and its not spilling flue gases at the base of the boiler, look to ithe appliance itself. Your combustion analyzer is your friend. Measure your water temps in and out. Make sure your entire boiler, burner tubes, etc. are clean as a whistle. Check not only inlet gas pressure but under full load. Check manifold pressure first against mfr. then per combustion analysis. All these things a qualified pro should be able to do and understand. Sooting is a process of elimination. If your installing contractor cannot figure it out you may have to hire another to save the day.

Heybob would be an excellent choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12