Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    And let me add one last thing for those in the Omaha area contemplating HVAC school. I'm very biased toward state-supported non-profit schools because they are a much better value. A 2-yr. degree at Metro would be roughly $6000 including tuition, fees and books. Vatterott College lists their program at $40,050.

http://www.vatterott-college.edu/oma...c-training.asp
    Last edited by snewman24; 10-02-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo
    B.O. = B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by snewman24 View Post
    Shawn, with your Bachelors, of course you wouldn't have to take the assessment because your math/English/science credits would transfer over.
    You'd probably want to start with HVAC 1000 & 1010 if you can go 4 nights a week. The current tuition rate is $53 per credit hour (including fees) and when I went thru the program there were only a few books required for the HVAC classes - Modern Refrigeration, Manual J & N, and a few others. They're good about providing handouts, etc. and holding the cost down on books so that you can afford to buy the tools that are required to be accumulated as you take classes.
    Snewman24,

That is awesome to hear! I was wondering how Metro would handle my Bachelor's degree. I have another question. In 1993 while I was in the AF, my career field dealt with a couple of different refrigeration systems. Because of this all technicians had to get EPA certified. I received my Universal certification from Ferris State University. I still have my card, certificate and the test results of how I did in each category. My question is do you know if Metro would require me to take their EPA certification class as part of their curriculum? As far as them trying to keep the cost down so we can buy the reuired tools, that is awesome as well. Do you know if there is anyway I could get my hands on the tool list so I can get a jump on that. (My plan would be to make the tools part of my Christmas list)

Thanks for all of the info!

Shawn

And let me add one last thing for those in the Omaha area contemplating HVAC school. I'm very biased toward state-supported non-profit schools because they are a much better value. A 2-yr. degree at Metro would be roughly $6000 including tuition, fees and books. Vatterott College lists their program at $40,050.

http://www.vatterott-college.edu/oma...c-training.asp
    Holy Crap! I have to agree!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnRPrice View Post
    Ryan,

What made you choose Vatterott over Metro? Was there anything specific you found Vatterott offered that Metro did not? Old at 34...I'm 38, guess I will enjoy feeling old in class as well! LOL!

Shawn
    Hey Shawn,

The main thing that I wanted was something all under one roof, I sign up, I leave 13 months later with everything all taken care of. Honestly I really considered Metro and for the price you cant beat it. I have taken many business and insurance courses at MCC and have always been really happy with them. The only downfall is that you need to be really on top of things when you are going through a program otherwise the courses fill up so fast that you are waitlisting everything and not getting the dates/times that you want. That can really slow things down. If this was 10 years ago for me, I would have had no problem with that, but with a career change and family, I needed the structure/speed of Vatterott.

I like going to class 8-1230 M-Th and not having to worry about anything else. But that was just my preference. They also have night classes as well and you can easily change to those if necessary. It is expensive though! But it works for me and I have been very happy so far.

Thanks, and really cool to see all the local folks on here!

Ryan

Snewman24,
    ................................ I received my Universal certification from Ferris State University. I still have my card, certificate and the test results of how I did in each category. My question is do you know if Metro would require me to take their EPA certification class as part of their curriculum?
    Strangely, the EPA certification class has never been part of the required curriculum even though they do offer the class and everyone takes it if needed. So, since you are already certified you don't have to re-take it.

As far as them trying to keep the cost down so we can buy the required tools, that is awesome as well. Do you know if there is anyway I could get my hands on the tool list so I can get a jump on that. (My plan would be to make the tools part of my Christmas list)

I will try to look up the tool list. You don't have to buy everything at once, you buy the needed tools for a particular class. There are also several supply houses around Omaha that offer a 10% discount for Metro students if you ask.
    Thanks for all of the info!

Shawn
    XX
    B.O. = B.S.

Omapilot...the following is not meant as personal criticism of you but as general information for anyone coming upon this thread in the future who's looking a both schools and trying to decide which one meets their needs:

The main thing that I wanted was something all under one roof, I sign up, I leave 13 months later with everything all taken care of.

I assume the 13 month program is a certificate program which Metro also has. And all classes should be available at the Metro Elkhorn campus so I don't see the "all under the same roof" argument as valid.

....................... The only downfall is that you need to be really on top of things when you are going through a program otherwise the courses fill up so fast that you are waitlisting everything and not getting the dates/times that you want. That can really slow things down. If this was 10 years ago for me, I would have had no problem with that, but with a career change and family, I needed the structure/speed of Vatterott.

If you really need someone to help you with class sequence then you can go see a counselor and have them set out your semester (quarter) class plan for you. You can even have them actually sign you up for classes each quarter if that's easier for you. Personally, I much prefer to do it myself online. Metro lets you sign up for classes several months in advance. There's no excuse for doing it at the last minute when classes are already full.

I like going to class 8-1230 M-Th and not having to worry about anything else. But that was just my preference. They also have night classes as well and you can easily change to those if necessary. It is expensive though! But it works for me and I have been very happy so far.

Metro also has morning, afternoon (a few) and night classes. If you want to go to school with the youngsters go during the day. If you prefer the more mature crowd (very interesting people, very diverse) take classes in the evening.
    B.O. = B.S.

[QUOTE=ShawnRPrice;11400392 Do you know if there is anyway I could get my hands on the tool list so I can get a jump on that. (My plan would be to make the tools part of my Christmas list)
    [/QUOTE]

I found my copy of the required tools list, from many years ago, and it may be a little different now but this will give you an idea of what you need for the first two introductory classes - HVAC 1000 & HVAC 1010:

Hvac 1000:
    screwdriver set, flashlight, roll of electrical tape, wire stripper, amp clamp, DMM that includes capacitance function, simple digital calculator, and plastic plier-type cartridge fuse puller.

HVAC 1010:
    Manifold test set, dial thermometers (-40F. to 160F.) & (0 - 220F.), 10-inch crescent wrench,& a refrigerator ratchet wrench.

If you want a current list call Bob Ruther (head of the program) at the Elkhorn Valley Campus at 402-289-1380. He'd probably also be happy to show you around and let you look at the labs and installed equipment if you ask.
    B.O. = B.S.

Thanks for the info! I spent the morning registering for classes. I'm GTG to start in December.

Omapilot...the following is not meant as personal criticism of you but as general information for anyone coming upon this thread in the future who's looking a both schools and trying to decide which one meets their needs:

The main thing that I wanted was something all under one roof, I sign up, I leave 13 months later with everything all taken care of.

I assume the 13 month program is a certificate program which Metro also has. And all classes should be available at the Metro Elkhorn campus so I don't see the "all under the same roof" argument as valid.

....................... The only downfall is that you need to be really on top of things when you are going through a program otherwise the courses fill up so fast that you are waitlisting everything and not getting the dates/times that you want. That can really slow things down. If this was 10 years ago for me, I would have had no problem with that, but with a career change and family, I needed the structure/speed of Vatterott.

If you really need someone to help you with class sequence then you can go see a counselor and have them set out your semester (quarter) class plan for you. You can even have them actually sign you up for classes each quarter if that's easier for you. Personally, I much prefer to do it myself online. Metro lets you sign up for classes several months in advance. There's no excuse for doing it at the last minute when classes are already full.

Metro also has morning, afternoon (a few) and night classes. If you want to go to school with the youngsters go during the day. If you prefer the more mature crowd (very interesting people, very diverse) take classes in the evening.
    Hey no worries at all! I always take internet chat as open information and discussion of the topics. Everyone has good information and something that works for them or doesn't work for them.

I am an Instrument Rated pilot and believe me, those message boards are crazy in the pilot community! I have considered making flying my profession since high school and could never pull the trigger to do it full time. So much job uncertainty, furloughs, terribly low pay in the beginning, etc, etc. Allot of the "love" of aviation seems to be lost along the way and I didn't want to ruin that. My goal is to be a happy owner with a flying buddy of mine on a very pristine Cherokee 180 down the road!

Good to point out all the facts and I completely agree with you 100% on MCC, like I said in my insurance life I have spent many hours out there and have nothing but great things to say. I just went a different route and you know that is working so I am going to stay the course and keep the wheels turning. I might be allot lighter in the wallet =) but it will get me to the end result that I want and a career that I want.

Ryan

Thanks for the info! I spent the morning registering for classes. I'm GTG to start in December.
    Excellent! Keep us posted on the progress, it is nice to be able to learn together!! I am sure that we will all have lots of questions that can be discussed.

Ryan

Smile

XX

One thing I noticed, buy a really good tube cutter! We get all of our own personal tools the third week of class, but I went out and bought a good tube cutter now, the ones in class have seen better days!

I would normaly agree with Omapilot however do you know where you want to go out of school. I beleive that you should buy the best tools you can afford, they will be making you money later. The problem with that in school is, so you buy a great tubing cutter for example then graduate and go to work for a controls co where you don't use a tube cutter. I wish I could tell you what to buy but the reality is there are so many areas that you can specialize in in this industry that what to spend more or less money on is hard to tell and you may not know yourself till you get well into the program.

Great point! I think that also speaks allot about the diversity and opportunity within this trade. And that is one of the main reasons I chose this career.

That was the only thing that I bought to make my life easier in refrigeration class, but I see exactly what you mean too. Thanks!

Ryan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast