Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Newbie from Bellevue, NE

Hey everyone, my name is Shawn. I recently retired from the AF after 20 years. It was a good ride but time to move on. My final job in the military was mainly management but prior to that I maintained the power generation and HVAC systems on ICBM silos for 16 years. I really enjoyed it and plan to get into HVAC as a civilian. I start school in December to learn the civilian side of the house. Most of what I worked on was pneumatic and I would like to get up to speed more updated systems.

Shawn

Wow, 29 views and no welcomes. Sorry Shawn.

Welcome here! Get that post count up and apply for pro membership.

Thanks for your service to our country!

Greetings from a nieghbor about 90 miles to the southwest. Have you decided what school you are going to? Omaha has some good ones but being on the advisory board for SCC Milford might I suggest that school.

Good luck with your civilian future and "THANK YOU" for your years of service. If you ever have any questions I have contact info in my user profile.

Enjoy this site.

Welcome!

Enjoy your new career. It's been 17 years since I retired from the AF.

Did 4 at Offutt, and a few years at one of the sites in state.

Lots of very good info here, jump right in...

Again, welcome and thanks for your service.

( Going downtown later to watch the Huskers )

Thanks everyone!

Kls-ccc, thanks for mentioning Milford. I wish it were closer to Bellevue. I plan to go to Metro Community College. I saw advertisements for Vetterot but have also found many no so nice reviews about it online so it looks like I will be starting at Metro in December.

Shawn

If memory serves me correctly I have a friend that is a FSR that went through Metro and he turned out OK so you should be at a good school. The thing to remember is you only get out what you put in. Study hard.

Hello,

I just finished my first week at Vatterott. It is an fast pace program which is what I was looking for. Metro is a ton cheaper though! It was a good first week and I learned allot. Only downfall is that I feel old in class even at 34. Lots of younger students, but there are a few career changers as well. Keep us posted on how things go when you start class!

Ryan

Ryan,

What made you choose Vatterott over Metro? Was there anything specific you found Vatterott offered that Metro did not? Old at 34...I'm 38, guess I will enjoy feeling old in class as well! LOL!

Shawn

Shawn I'm from Bellevue also. I've been looking to do change in my life and have been discussing with my wife about going to metro for hvac school in December also. I've heard nothing but good things about metro and have heard they are the best in the area right now. How long is the course.. 2 years ??

Holt,

As far as I know it is a 2 yr program. At the end of the 2 yrs people grad with an associates degree. I already have a bachelor’s degree so I should only have to take the technical classes. Hopefully that will cut some time down for me so I can get into the work force sooner. Glad to hear people are saying good things about the school and the course. If you are starting in December we will probably run into each other in class.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Shawn I'm from Bellevue also. I've been looking to do change in my life and have been discussing with my wife about going to metro for hvac school in December also. I've heard nothing but good things about metro and have heard they are the best in the area right now. How long is the course.. 2 years ??
    If you're serious about starting HVAC at Metro in December you need to sign up for classes now before they are full. Because of the bad economy ,everybody is in school right now and the classes will fill up very fast as we approach Dec. 5.
    You don't need to formally apply for admission and can probably sign up for classes online. You'll eventually want to consult a counselor to plan out your certificate program, or 2-yr. degree, and you will eventually have to take the placement assessment test for your future English/math/science classes. The HVAC classes themselves are on the MCC Elkhorn campus.

http://www.mccneb.edu/hvac/default.asp

http://www.mccneb.edu/schedule/class...sp?sterm=11/WI
    Last edited by snewman24; 10-02-2011 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Added links
    B.O. = B.S.

Snewman24,

Thanks for the advice and the links. I will head to Metro this week to get this taken care of.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnRPrice View Post
    Snewman24,

Thanks for the advice and the links. I will head to Metro this week to get this taken care of.

Shawn
    Shawn, with your Bachelors, of course you wouldn't have to take the assessment because your math/English/science credits would transfer over.
    You'd probably want to start with HVAC 1000 & 1010 if you can go 4 nights a week. The current tuition rate is $53 per credit hour (including fees) and when I went thru the program there were only a few books required for the HVAC classes - Modern Refrigeration, Manual J & N, and a few others. They're good about providing handouts, etc. and holding the cost down on books so that you can afford to buy the tools that are required to be accumulated as you take classes.
    B.O. = B.S.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast