I am new to the forum and have read posts about basic entry level skills expected for apprentice level tech work.

I agree its good to know brazing electrical troubleshooting and how to charge, pumpdown, purge and vacuum.

I went to a 30 week course and had tons of notes tossed at me and now I can only get work as a insulation man or helper on installations.

I went to school for a career beyond the level of work that a person who doesnt even speak english can do. I see there are many immagrant who didnt go to school working in the instalation side of this work. I dont want to be a guy who paid for school and is equal to a guy who does taping all day or filters.

I have pretty decent notes. I know its up to me to make sense of it all and have the basics. I dont feel confident but know that if I got these things down I could be closer to a service job.

I have a few questions about my notes on things like purging, vacuuming charging and pumpdown.

I considered my self a pretty good student. It just seemed to fast to absorb the materical. Then after working in instalation and maintance a bit I can see I need to be stronger on these things.

Will someone work with me on these things in email?

I know it seems like alot but I really think I have a good understanding and just want a confirmation of my methods as accurate.

I am Jlucky14@excite.com

[Edited by jtpnyc on 12-21-2005 at 06:25 AM]

I wrote you with my cell number, but havent heard back from you. Are you out of town?

Call me and we'll go over stuff together. Maybe I can help you.

Lightbulb Advising...and Reflecting.....

First, If you went to a Service school curriculum;
    Then , you are not happy doing install, and wrapping insulation on piping.
    you didnt go to school to do that, be honest with yourself, and find a company that is looking for the same thing you are, its a trade off.
    there is some commercial companies that will, bring on an entry level tech and train them, including the union...
    if you want to learn and do all the trade, then stay where youre at, and be a helper or a pipewrapper.
    Communicate to potential employers that, What you are looking for,
    If its service, tell them,,,
    Remember , when youre new in the trade, you will have to do many other things, that are related to the business to stay busy in this trade,,,

[Edited by coldspot on 12-27-2005 at 06:01 PM]

Thanks for the offer for help I didnt recieve your email message please try again. I am Jlucky14@excite.com

Thanks again.

I am in new york I would prefer to email u about this thank for the offer of your number.

dont get discouraged

Installing is a great place to start.Some of the best techs started out as installers. Installing lets you see how it all works together and helps you identify lots of problem issues on service calls later. System design and lay out is always the first thing I look at when Im called out on service calls. As a matter of fact, if its a poor install then it probably isnt charged correctly either. Over time you will see how those things go hand in hand.

Yeah I see what your saying about installtion and later tech work.

I just have been getting jobs where they have people doing insulation taping and cleaning and grunt work and it just seems to lead no where.

It seems like 3 years of taping and cleaning tools will not lead to service work. I tell interviewers what I want then they offer me 8hr to be in maintenance or do work that mexicans who dont even speak english do.

My very first job in HVAC involved parts chasing, filter and belt changing, lighting pilots on heaters in gymnasiums, humping water treatment chemicals into chiller and boiler plants at the various schools for the school district that gave me the job.
    I also swept up a lot when things were slow.

You know, all these years later I still chase parts, change filters and belts, make sure the pilots on my boilers light normally, and trundle water treatment chemicals down a flight of stairs into the central plant.
    I still sweep up a lot because I don't like dirty floors.

I've also learned a hell of a lot about this trade since that first job, with more to come. As a kid I carried chemicals to a chiller room and admired all that equipment; now I know how it works and how to keep it going. As a kid I chased parts; now I know what those parts, plus many, many others, are for and how to use them. As a kid I changed filters and belts; now I know the dire consequences of neglecting filter changes, why a belt should never be overtightened, and the difference between belt types and sizes.

So stick with it. I've also done time as an attic monkey. It wasn't fun but man did I learn a lot. It wouldn't have mattered to me whether my coworkers were brown, black, or purple. They taught me things, even if some of it was how NOT to do something. If I had been going to school at the time, I'd just have to realize my youth in the trade and look at the schooling as additional leverage to work my way over into service tech work, had I stayed in installation work.

The main thing I keep seeing about you guys just getting started in this trade is that if you're seeking work from a for-profit employer, you have to equate to profit for him one way or another. Lack of experience equates to lack of being able to turn over service calls quickly. It doesn't knock you out of the loop; it just means you might have to hump duct with the Mexicans awhile until you catch a break. Stick with it long enough and you'll get one.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Well, learn about ductwork and sizes and ask your Boss about how he came to design ductwork like that..Ask questions and be more interested in the job; that way he would maybe give you more tasks that are service related.

Pay your dues in installation,then service will come easy as you get your feet wet..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

have to start at the bottom to climb any ladder. get your foot in the door and pay attention. if company is worth working for you wil move up, if not move on.

its easy find a supermaket refrigaration contractor ,most have a construction dept and service dept.What most do with a promising service man is let you do some pm work and have someone near by that can bail you out in a jam and when they dont have work you can do by yourfelf or it is slow they put you with a construction crew and you run pipe make hangers,set cases build coolers.this also helps you find installation and design problems down the road.they also usually service the ac also.thats how it works in the southeast,if you can do supermarkets you can do anything in this trade.