Heat pump blows cold air in heat mode

I recently moved to a home which has 5-6 year Carrier 58MCB model heat pump (gas furnace). When stat mode is set to heat, cold air is coming from the vents even after I set temp 5 deg above the room temp , fan outside is moving and burner is the furnace is turned off. When I switch the mode to Emergency heat, hot air is coming through the vent and burner is On.

Do I need to change Thermostat? Can you help me to troubleshoot the problem.

If the outdoor unit (fan) is running when you have the thermostat set in heat mode and it's blowing cold air, you need a service tech. This is not something we will be able to help with over the net. Too many possibilities.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

sounds like either

a: your not used to the ammount to the ammount of heat that a heat pump puts out. The heat from a heat pump feels cold, because it's colder than your skin. But in reality, it's still heating the home.

B: You have a problem with the outdoor unit.
    If you rule out A, check your breakers, and call a pro.

We don't offer DIY advise here.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

With heating season right around the corner, a professional 'check-up' wouldn't be a bad idea.

That said, a quick check would be to turn your heat pump into heating mode, wait until the outdoor unit is running and CAREFULLY touch the larger line.

That line should be quite hot.

If it isn't, then it is time to