Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Goodman rant (Leaky coils)

Being this is my first summer in the trade, I expect to make mistakes, but I am sick and tired of Goodman systems springing leaks a month after I was there doing a maintenance. Both times this has happened to me, the systems were running just fine when I did the maintenance.All summer long our technicians have had the same problem. My last call today, I get sent out on a callback, customer complains its not cooling like it has been. I show up, suction line outside is completely frozen over. I go up in the attic and found the evap completely frozen over. Verify airflow, check my static pressure and everything is fine there. I don't have a heat gun yet so I turn the furnace on to heat up the coil and defrost this thing so I can begin to troubleshoot.

Leak detector didn't find the leak but that could either be because I have a cheaper leak sniffer, or that I couldn't access the entire coil. Going back on Monday to put some dye through the system and find the leak. Im tired of these calls because I don't get paid on my own call backs but the system has been running fine up until a couple days ago. When I was there a month ago, SP,HP SH,SC were all fine. Goodman needs to fix their leaky coil problem!!!!

If it's newer goodman, check the suction rail, top left corner. There's a schrader valve that some people overheat. (CA*F)

CHPF: It's right on the suction line, 5 inches or so away from the connection to the lineset. This one is an easy burn.

When you find the leak, replace it with the alluminum coil.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Need to work for a dealer who pays their techs too. Must be commission or piecerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood650 View Post
    ......I show up, suction line outside is completely frozen over. I go up in the attic and found the evap completely frozen over..........Well, correct me if I'm wrong but there's a darn good chance if suction line is froze the evap would be too......Verify airflow, check my static pressure and everything is fine there.....Verified static pressure with a frozen evap???....... Going back on Monday to put some dye through the system and find the leak. Im tired of these calls because I don't get paid on my own call backs but the system has been running fine up until a couple days ago. When I was there a month ago, SP,HP SH,SC were all fine......Goodman needs to fix their leaky coil problem!!!!......See below
    If, you were there a month ago and all these parameters checked fine and you did NOT add or "top off" refrigerant your boss is screwing you by considering this a callback. If you DID add refrigerant and noted it on your ticket and had the proper discussions with the customer and your boss then it could be a little different.

And don't blame Goodman. The fact you are going back to put in a dye means you don't know where the leak is.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
    If, you were there a month ago and all these parameters checked fine and you did NOT add or "top off" refrigerant your boss is screwing you by considering this a callback. If you DID add refrigerant and noted it on your ticket and had the proper discussions with the customer and your boss then it could be a little different.

And don't blame Goodman. The fact you are going back to put in a dye means you don't know where the leak is.
    Second post I've read of yours in two days with nothing but negative comments.

He said he defrosted the coil. So what are you talking about?

How about adding something constructive to the conversation for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by mcjo tech View Post
    ......He said he defrosted the coil. So what are you talking about?.......
    I took it literally, the way it was typed, that he did these things first and then thawed it out....."I go up in the attic and found the evap completely frozen over. Verify airflow, check my static pressure and everything is fine there. I don't have a heat gun yet so I turn the furnace on to heat up the coil and defrost this thing so I can begin to troubleshoot."

And as far as being constructive, I alluded to the the fact that I think he shouldn't be held accountable for a leak a full month after he left a normally functioning system if he didn't add refrigerant.

And finally, whether it's a leaky Goodman coil remains to be seen. Adding a dye usually means you can't pinpoint a leak.

The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Need to work for a dealer who pays their techs too. Must be commission or piecerate.
    I would like to but I cant be picky in this crazy world. I am commission based and at times it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooked View Post

I defrosted the coil but I also checked static pressure before and after the evap was defrosted. Yes, I am aware that a frozen suction line would most likely lead to a frozen evap.

I blame goodman because the leaks that have been found have been from the manufacture. I checked our welds from install and they were fine. Guess we will find out when we put the dye in... I am going to invest in a better leak detector in the spring.

How old are the coils? What models of coils are you seeing the most problems from?

We tend to have more problems from leaky air handlers than the CAPF or CHPF. Off hand I cannot think of any leaks we've had on the condenser coils/outdoor sections in the past few years on Goodman/Amana. Just had one the other day on a 5 ton air handler, header plate was leaking in 4 or 5 places...system installed about 18 months ago. Got a special labor authorization from my TM after I requested it.

Goodman doesn't have the market cornered bad coils....I've seen plenty of problems come across my desk from basically all major manufactures over the past few years. I'd say the biggest offenders I can think of are York, Carrier, Goodman, and Rheem but Trane isn't immune either. We don't tend to work on too many newer Lennox systems so I can't really comment on them.

I don't recall the exact model series but York has a "blue fin" coil that they'll pay the dealer to replace upon it's discovery of failure.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

I have not seen a rash of bad coils from goodman. but i have seen a rash of bad king valve caps that leak so much they made a new style.. check the m and s see if it falls in this group....

The only leaking I have had from Goodman's are my techs aren't checking the damn white gasket on the liquid line. Or they are brazing it in while it is connected and melting it. Other than that not too many problems. I mostly install Ruud now though.

This is the first post I made after finding H-T again (I left because of the tone). Last year I Googled Goodman evap leaks to see how wide spread the leaky coil problem was, it led me to this thread. The tone has change (or maybe I changed), but this coil thing is really inconsistent on this forum. We're known for using the best practices, so it's not the "installer"... which seems to be sited all to often.

I have not seen a lot of bad goodman coils over the years. lately or otherwise. what is the model??? Where is the leak located on all these bad units????

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky2011 View Post
    what is the model??? Where is the leak located on all these bad units????
    I thought we were having trouble with just heat pumps. We notice a trend about 2009. But here's one that just crossed my desk, U59, sits on a gas furnace, replaced in 10/2009 again 11/2010, and now one sits in the shop waiting for installation 7/2011 (we've been kinda busy). Can't get an alum coil in that model. By the way, we've only had one alum coil leak... but it's only been a year. (Fingers are crossed)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast