Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flanders Precision Aire Polystrand filters

Does anyone have experience with the Flanders Precision Aire heavy duty polystrand filters? Also, the Glassfloss filters. They both say they hold dust well. I saw them on Amazon. I want to avoid the pleated filters as advised here due to concerns for damage to my new system with too much air flow restriction. I am getting a lot of dust in the house compared to when I used the Dust Fighter 95 electrostatic filters I used for 18 years with my old system which died this spring due to bad bearings and cracked heat exchanger. Thanks for any input on these filters.

A fiberglass filter is the cheapest and least efficient filter on the marker.

That means it catches less dirt...that dirt sticks to your a/c coil.

Electrostatic filters are good if they are cleaned monthly.

The pleated ones are fine....just get one that fits snug in the grill andchange them on a regular basis.
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

Just an Observation

18 years is a pretty good life (mine was 16 but it was AC coil that went, not furnace)
    However, bad bearings sound like a blower motor working extra hard.
    Cracked heat exchanger sounds like one running hotter than normal.
    Both these can occur with low air flow.....
    Think about....

I recommend poly foam filters that are not pleated. If the filter is sized correctly with the proper sizes return duct, they will be fine. The problems start when the filter is undersized with a short return duct. The velocity will be too great and the filter won't catch much.
    Doug

Nothing wrong with pleated filters as long as MERV number is reasonably low (4-6). The pleats will be wide apart- not all crammed tightly together. Stay away from 3M Filtrete filters.

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Nothing wrong with pleated filters as long as MERV number is reasonably low (4-6). The pleats will be wide apart- not all crammed tightly together. Stay away from 3M Filtrete filters.
    Agreed!

And also sized for airflow.

My

#1 = pleats (with the above)

#2 = poly

# 3 = fiberglass
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Quote Originally Posted by superd77 View Post
    A fiberglass filter is the cheapest and least efficient filter on the marker.

That means it catches less dirt...that dirt sticks to your a/c coil.

Electrostatic filters are good if they are cleaned monthly.

The pleated ones are fine....just get one that fits snug in the grill andchange them on a regular basis.
    Superd77,

Please read and follow the rules for AOP forums found in my signature.

Poly's good if you have a bird problem in your return ducts. A dirt/dust problem will eventually end, when your Evap. coil clogs up.

I would go with a low Merv pleated before I went with Poly

Where do I find these pleated low merv filters? Our Lowe's and other local HVAC supply store doesn't have them.

I don't advocate those stores anyways, go to your local hvac contractor. They should be able to set you up.

Thanks for the replies. My contractor did fix me up...with the Glassfolss filters. That's why dust covers everything. Dust Fighter hardly lets any light through so I think they are too restrictive. Supply house here only has the thick pleated with high merv.

Home Depot carriers pleated filters...they use a strange rating system though so the numbers don't necessarily carry over to true MERV ratings.

I tell my customers to look for a pleated filter in the middle price range...no the most expensive and not the cheapest...that will usually get them in something around MERV 6 or so.

I don't mind selling a case of filters to a customer if they want them. My house has three so a case doesn't last long. Not sure why your guy sold you the glassfloss though...but he can get you some pleated, just ask.
    Originally Posted by ladyfire3374:

"I used to wake up excited about the challenges of the day. Now the anticipation level is somewhere between a root canal and a colonoscopy."

Quote Originally Posted by hceptj View Post
    Not sure why your guy sold you the glassfloss though...but he can get you some pleated, just ask.
    glassfloss is the name of the company, they only sell rolls of poly. So he must have gotten a pleated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast