Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane: How to tell if heat strips are on ?

Our installing dealer went kaput. I can ask other local Trane dealers but I thought I would start here.

New XL16i with TAM7AOC42H Hyperion and BAYEVAC10BK1A electric heaters. XL950 T-stat.

I don't see anything on the air handler or stat to indicate if the heat strips are on. There is a blurb on *AM7 Owner's Info sheet: "Problem - Auxiliary heat indicator on" "Possible Cause - When outdoor temp falls, intermittent lighting is normal" Remedy - Monitor light......above 30deg.....above 50 deg, call for service"

What light, please?

There is a 1"x5" glass panel on the air handler that has been flashing blue and green lights since the install. Is there something here I have missed?

Thanks

What happened to your dealer? Kuput does not say alot, did he go out of business? Anyways is this a heatpump system? If not then simple turn t-stat to heat and if it air is warm or hot heat pack is working! If you have a heatpump go to t-stat and turn unit to emergcey heat and see if it heats. Sounds like you need a new Trane dealer to come out and look over system since we don't no why he is lot around anymore. This would be the best thing because he is no longer around to help you with any questions, future maintaince and possiable warranty issues.

blue and green lights flashing is normal operation if you see a red light flashing you have a problem

adam. Dealer went out of business. Yes it is a H/P. PS: are you related to Bill W. from TX?

cat. The XL950 is the newfangeled one with a 7"x4" digital screen.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    blue and green lights flashing is normal operation if you see a red light flashing you have a problem
    I agree! As far as I no, he is not related to me? I would have a Trane dealer come out & make sure system is working like like it should. Again the blue & green lights without a red light would suggest there is no problem with setup but still could be setup wrong at t-stat! Why did he go out of business?

I see there is a relay panel attached to the side of the A/H. It is BAY24VRPAC52DA. I have the installation guide.

It appears that if I take the cover off, there are lights inside that will tell me what stage heat strips are activated...and if first or second stage compressor is on.

I don't see any warnings to me about looking inside the relay, so I will play with the T-stat, up and down to see what lights are doing.

Sound reasonable? Thanks

If you want to verify that your heat strips work, do as has been advised and place your thermostat in "emergency heat" mode. The heat pump section will not function but the indoor blower and heat strips should operate. If all you get is blower but no heat when the thermostat is in "emergency heat" mode, you have a concern. If you get heat, you should be good to go.

You can look at the lights, but you can still have a situation where the light comes on but no heat is produced. There is more to bringing on heat strips than a light and a relay.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

a serviceperson should do this for you, he can use an ammeter to verify amp draw as each strip comes on

Well, as luck would have it, just now I have stage 1 or 2 heat strips ON without the compressor being on. Air flow is about 40-50% out of the registers....altho the 950 display says air flow is 100%. Both panel and 950 display tell me about heat strip status.

I will go outside and check the cartridge fuses for the 18i and hopefully, that will be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Osgood Conklin View Post
    Well, as luck would have it, just now I have stage 1 or 2 heat strips ON without the compressor being on. Air flow is about 40-50% out of the registers....altho the 950 display says air flow is 100%. Both panel and 950 display tell me about heat strip status.

I will go outside and check the cartridge fuses for the 18i and hopefully, that will be the problem.
    Are you getting any heat from the vents with just the heat strips on? If so, at least you know the heat strips work. If your outdoor unit is not on...is your thermostat set for "emergency heat"?

If you find blown fuses for the outdoor unit, there's a reason they blew. Since your original installer went belly up, you need to find out someone else who will honor the manufacturer's warranty.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I changed both 40A fuses..... two times. Compressor will not start when I ask T-stat to up the heat. Just strips.

Quote Originally Posted by Osgood Conklin View Post
    I changed both 40A fuses..... two times. Compressor will not start when I ask T-stat to up the heat. Just strips.
    Try to find another Trane dealer to look at your system, I checked the site locator with no results. There is not a lot we can do for you here other than guess what is going on with limited information.

Hi all and thanks for your replies. I talked to one of the installers (who now works for another company) and he said he set the lockout for 35 degrees. It was about that cold this a.m.

It is now about 41+ degrees outside....but the compressor has not yet come on. Could there be some sort of reset that I don't know about?

Anyhow, another local Trane tech will be here late this afternoon to reset the lockout info. Apparently it can come down in 5 degree increments and I will ask it be reset to 20 or 25 degrees. Sounds like 17 degrees is the lowest possible setting.

It should warm up today to about 60+ and I will be waiting with great anticipation to see if the compressor finally goes on....and at what temperature. There is an outdoor sensor (Honeywell C7089U1006) inside the compressor that seems to read 3 to 5 degrees warmer, per XL950, than outside ambient air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast