heat/thermostat question

Hi,

I had a new Carrier Performance 96 furnace (95%, 2 stage) installed in my home back at the beginning of August, and just recently had a chance to actually use it, and have noticed some behavior that I didn't expect:

When the furnace is maintaining a set temperature, it always will just use 1st stage heating (expected), however if I manually bump up the temperature by as little as 0.5C, it will put it into 2nd stage until it reaches the set temperature. I was under the impression that the temperature would have to be ~2C before it went to 2nd stage?

I'm using a Honeywell FocusPRO 6000 thermostat.. could this be an issue with the furnace or thermostat, or is this actually the way it should be?

I checked the installer setup menu, and the "system type" is correct (2H 1C Conv.), however the first and second stage heat cycle rates are setup for furnaces under 90% efficiency, which is 5. The manual calls for 3 to be setup for 90% and up. Is this possibly affecting things, or unrelated?

Thanks for any help.

would 0.5 degrees C not be 32.9 degrees F

Sorry what I meant by that was I increased the set temperature at the thermostat by 0.5 degrees celcius. For example, it's set to maintain 20C, and i'm telling it to set the temperature to 20.5C. An increase as small as this is what causes it to go right to 2nd stage.

Most Honeywells hold a very close temperature. Bumping up much at all tells the stat you want more heat. Normally it would go to 2nd stage then back to 1st but it might have heated up so fast it didn't have time to drop back.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    would 0.5 degrees C not be 32.9 degrees F
    In absolute terms, yes.

As he is adjusting the stat, it would work out to about .9 or so degrees F per .5 degrees C if I'm not mistaken.