Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy eye View Post
    never gets call backs ,that's impossible .
    Nah, it is just not cost effective. My favorite ex-employer has a tech that never gets call backs. But he only runs maybe 2 calls a day, on a good day.

If he gets a call and the problem is the thermostat has been tore off the wall, he will check gas pressure at valve, burner, check the refrigerant, SH/SC and then go measure the airflow at every register and at the return, along with anything else that he can think of.

I treat the Customer how I would want to be treated. I call it like it is and the only time I look out for myself first is when I am faced with a situation that I could get sued for. If I diagnose a furnace and it is unsafe for operation, I red tag it, shut off the gas and power, and inform the customer of the problem and why I think it is unsafe. I note everything on paper and make them sign it. If they want to fire it after I leave so be it but I have documentation proving I told them not to. And even still I am looking out for there safety, I don't want to be responsible for a family with children meeting a fiery fate.

Kudos to you Flange, if we hade more owners with this mentallity our industry would have a much higher integrity rate than we do. We have individuals in our industry that are "purported industry leaders" stating " you do not have to hire technicians that know what they are dooing they only need to be good communicators".

To me that was one of the most discusting things that I have ever read or heard from our industry.

Keep up the good work

As an owner, I want the guy who can troubleshoot and diagnosis the problem. Parts changers cost your business more in the long run. You will eventually lose your customer. I am here for my customers and word gets around about quality work. Referrals will get you lots of business when the job is done right. Treat your customers like you would want to be treated and you will do well in this industry.

As a Tech who just came from a company that is all about $$$ I can say techs who look out for themselves and not the customer will not last. For instance The company advertised you can make 100k a year working for them I knew I wouldn't make that much but was hoping to get away from pay check to pay check life I lived working for the apts. The 100k company does not have more than 1 tech that has been there for more than 8 months... I was let go because I would not leave a 80 year old lady without ac when all she needed was a capacitor. they wanted to sell her a new system. Now Im looking into a commercial outfit that has a good reputation

When I interview for a job, I warn my future employer that I will not lie to my customer. That's definetly a double-edged sword as we all have made mistakes, but do you tell the customer you messed-up or do you just say it was also one of there problems on the a/c.

The way I see it, I immediately get a feel for what kind of culture I'll be working for! If they start asking a lot of questions about that statement, I know they would expect me to lie on occasion. If they respond, enough said! Then, I am more confident they're an honest company who only wants me to t/s the problem and not up-sale when it's not necessary.

I'm experienced enough...not to cause a major repair! If I do anything wrong, I burn a x-former (big-deal 20 bucks). However, I let my customer know I did it, I replaced it, and they won't be charged for it. I perform my job as I'd expect a mechanic to repair my car.

My point is...if you're not being rewarded for doing your job honestly, but instead your company is rewarding dishonesty, office politics, or sales then I'd call them on it. If you're not satisfied with their response then let em know! If you cannot work it out with em, then at least you tried!! Don't just wussy-out and quit, but don't take sh1t either!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing!
    - Edward Burke

It's hard to stop a Trane - Until you apply line voltage to it!!

In the big picture, iv'e seen and heard of numerous prosperous companys that played by the rules and treated customers right and raked in money due to reputation, get sold to a greedy jerkoff who jacked rates and and put his guys on comission so that they had to make up or create problems to make a pay check and these companys end up falling apart. If the company as a whole does whats right, it comes back in the end. The guys screwing people will fail though it may take time. Sounds like your part of a crew of aholes and a bit fed up...?

The companies that screw people over can do a god job of keeping them in the dark so they are happy with their new system or parts they didn’t need and ever recommend them to their friends. If you go to one of these review sites and see a company with a lot of good reviews stay away from them they are farming them out. They have a web site of their own to filter out the bad reviews by asking people who leave good reviews to go on to other real review sites and ignore the bad ones since its only on a site that no one will see. I gees this could be done by a legitimist company but the hacks really need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampTromper View Post
    In the big picture, iv'e seen and heard of numerous prosperous companys that played by the rules and treated customers right and raked in money due to reputation, get sold to a greedy jerkoff who jacked rates and and put his guys on comission so that they had to make up or create problems to make a pay check and these companys end up falling apart. If the company as a whole does whats right, it comes back in the end. The guys screwing people will fail though it may take time. Sounds like your part of a crew of aholes and a bit fed up...?
    im pretty happy where i am .. my boss is cool as hell & upon hiring me he told me his expectations from me & techs in general ... he wants it done right & i carry his company name w/ pride ....... i just know a few glorified parts changers & wanted some of u guys out theres opinions ..

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    1. parts changer or real diagnostic tech
    2. person with constant callbacks from misdiagnosing because they aren't thorough or a guy who diagnoses correct the first time & never gets callbacks
    3. person that writes up bullsh!t to drum up repairs to move $ or tech that calls it like it is
    4. person that dont give a darn about the company as a whole & looks out for themselves or a tech that trys to do whats best for the team
    Your contrast of comparisons is very one sided, you compare apples to buttons.

Who is more valuable, water.

An employee that flows like water is the most valuable, able to match the shape of any glass/need at a moments notice. Able to fill the gaps and handle what ever management needs at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Which one are YOU?

IMO, parts changers, callback kings, bullspitters and the like are the first to go when things get tight.

I've watched it happen while I kept swinging wrenches, diagnosing problems, calling it as I saw it, and working for a company and not myself.
    Fully agree and I would not want to work for a company that sees it differently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12