Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

who's more valuable ?

1. parts changer or real diagnostic tech
    2. person with constant callbacks from misdiagnosing because they aren't thorough or a guy who diagnoses correct the first time & never gets callbacks
    3. person that writes up bullsh!t to drum up repairs to move $ or tech that calls it like it is
    4. person that dont give a darn about the company as a whole & looks out for themselves or a tech that trys to do whats best for the team
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 09-18-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: G rated here ;-)

Um? most valuable to who?

never gets call backs ,that's impossible .

to whoever. i just talk with a lot of ppl in the trade & im just curious what's ppls thoughts on it. there can b advantages to either i'm sure & no 1 is perfect but i'm just asking ....

Quote Originally Posted by crazy eye View Post
    never gets call backs ,that's impossible .
    ok good point. rarely*

It's a tough question. There are too many variables. And someone usually ends up getting the shaft. Could be some underpaid tech or some gullible customer. Or both.

1) Parts changer benefits Co and supplier. Real diagnostic tech benefits customer.
    2)Person with callbacks benefits Co, coworkers (job security) while shafting customer. Correct diagnosis= happy customer (usually, unless it's a "band-aid" situation and they don't want to face the inevitable truth (variables)
    3) Person who drums up repairs. I like this one. One of my old service managers unscrupulously pushed this philosophy. Which is obviously beneficial to the Co and the tech. Calling it like it is= happy customer...usually..unless you're telling them they need to spend $$$ to make it right, again with the variables.
    4) person that doesn't give a fook about the Co. I don't know about this one. Obviously you need to represent your employer with a certain degree of respectability and professionalism. But if you find yourself working for one of those companies that are a revolving door for techs; different faces every month, butt of all the jokes at the supply house etc. Is one tech really going to turn their reputation around?

Ultimately, we're back to what Sweat hog said; "most valuable to who?"
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    1. parts changer or real diagnostic tech
    2. person with constant callbacks from misdiagnosing because they aren't thorough or a guy who diagnoses correct the first time & never gets callbacks
    3. person that writes up bullsh!t to drum up repairs to move $ or tech that calls it like it is
    4. person that dont give a f#ck about the company as a whole & looks out for themselves or a tech that trys to do whats best for the team
    Which one are YOU?

IMO, parts changers, callback kings, bullspitters and the like are the first to go when things get tight.

I've watched it happen while I kept swinging wrenches, diagnosing problems, calling it as I saw it, and working for a company and not myself.

"IMO, parts changers, callback kings, bullspitters and the like are the first to go when things get tight.

I've watched it happen while I kept swinging wrenches, diagnosing problems, calling it as I saw it, and working for a company and not myself."

JP, I agree with your sentiment. Although, not all companies have the best interest of the customer in mind. Similar to how politicians will never offend their corporate sponsors, even though they are supposed to "work" for us. That's another topic altogether. A lot of the time a customer will remember the tech's name and have little regard for the name of the Co he "represents". That's how a lot of guy's who go rogue get their operations off the ground. Just from my humble observations. The way I see it, we have a lot in common with the health care industry: People will always get sick, just as much as people will always need to be warm in the winter, cool in the summer and have fresh food in the grocery store.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    When I'm standing in front of a customer, that is MY customer. I look out for them. I will do the best job for THEM. I don't however, throw others under the bus. If there is a problem with someone else's callback, I'll say I'll check into it, and get the facts. If my company has messed up, they usually take care of it, but it's not my call.

I believe that doing the right thing for your customers and having their interests in mind will ultimate be better off for your company. I know there are people with a transactional mindset that don't concern themselves with repeat business or referrals, but they're not looking at the big picture.

Treat your customers the way you want to be treated, but don't forget who signs your paycheck.

To the OP, it sounds like you already know who is more valuable. All I can say when dealing with these people is to take the high road and when the day comes that you have to make a change, you can walk away with a clear conscience.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

thanks for the input. i'm a good tech that doesnt sell b.s .... the name of the game is to make money but i call it like it is. i know each type of worker & dont judge them, but just know i keep my methods like they are. unnecessary callbacks irk me. i dont see anything positive that brings a company

Over time, cream rises to the top. The customer will only be loyal for a short period of time when the tech is doing what you describe. I get at least half of my business from referrals. That wouldn't happen if I treated them like technician A.

As an owner of a commercial biz, to me the guy who can troubleshoot and do "real" diagnostics is my best bet. we may not sell as much as a parts changer type setup, but we gain lots of happy clients and referrals. Having good quality men allows me to charge higher rates and ultimately make more money. having a staff full of parts changers usually equals lower margin work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast