Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Talking Right Plans

Originally posted by pooka16
    The house is 2story 4800 sq ft without the basement which is another 2700sq ft. all windows are schuco triple pane with gas. We are getting spray foam insulation. we are paying $.11 per kw
    Send plans, specs, house orientation, ...
    ( see credentials)
    if you wish to have an independent
    equipment selection
    & life cycle cost analysis.

Noted:
    http://www.schueco-usa.com/startsite/001/index.html

[Edited by dan sw fl on 02-20-2006 at 01:26 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

how much $?

Thumbs up Convenience, Pro Assist

how much $?
    $0.0 I love HVAC

... Get it Right the 1st Time

[Edited by dan sw fl on 02-20-2006 at 05:49 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

do i send plans to address in credentials?

Need to be set straight. I am on long island, ny where electricity costs a fortune. Building a new house. Is it correct that heat pumps use a lot less electricity than heat strips? My contractor friend seems to think that I should just go with heat strips because of all the additional wear i would be putting on the compressor year round instead of during the summer to run the heat pump. I would like any input......

Thanks

Philip
    Hello Philip, if your building your own home then put what you want in..NOT Goodman...

6 tons I would recommend maybe going with (2) systems splits with Heat Pumps and variable drive air handlers.

Be sure to invest in quality filter system and Vision Pro 8000 thermostat.

Your option on the purchase of higher efficiency equipment but if your planning on being in this home for awhile then go with 14-19 S.E.E.R.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Originally posted by docholiday
    If your going to do it yourself, use goodman

This is Turtle

These words here spoken is what made Goodman what it is today. More than 1/2 the population now a days is Do it yourselfers and your statement here just drug in 1,000 of customer / DIY what to buy. The Internet age brought in the Do It Yourself age and we will go father into it as time goes by. D.I.Y. is a very good thing for the customers but not in the HVAC business.

D.I.Y. + HVAC WORK = TROUBLE.

TURTLE

Originally posted by docholiday
    If your going to do it yourself, use goodman
    ...because you will need to do it again two or three times, as compared to the lifespan of properly sized, installed, and maintained equipment.

Be sure of the warranty BEFORE you purchase.
    Get it in writing.

Your contractor friend lacks training on heat pumps. Therefore he is recommending something simple.

I'm sorry I said that, I was being a smart A$$. I figured the pros would see the humor. Consider it unsaid.

Wink pump vs strips

Need to be set straight. I am on long island, ny where electricity costs a fortune. Building a new house. Is it correct that heat pumps use a lot less electricity than heat strips? My contractor friend seems to think that I should just go with heat strips because of all the additional wear i would be putting on the compressor year round instead of during the summer to run the heat pump. I would like any input......

Thanks

Philip
    A heat pump, nominally, is 3X more efficient than the heat strips. The reason for this is that with heat strips, your only source of heat is from electricity, as where the heat pump is providing you with the heat taken from the air, (air-to-air style heat pump), heat from the electric motor operating the compressor, and finally the heat of compression. Not a bad value.

Before you go sticking in the ultimate effeciency,super-comfort system,consider your location.Are you near salt water? This will deteriorate your system more rapidly. Insist on a coated coil.A heatpump is a wise choice,just not necessarily top of the line. You might also consider 3 smaller systems,one per floor. JMO.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

I am willing to go better than goodman like trane or carrier but not with 19 seer models as i just found out it would run about 12 grand for the heat pumps and air handlers alone. That is not an option. I am looking for like 6 grand maybe for the equipment. According to the HVAC calc..... i need .5 ton for basement, 3.5 tons 1st floor, and 2 tons 2nd floor which will be under a non ventilated icynene attic. My fried installs hvac all the time in ARIZONA where they really dont use the heat....its all about the A.C. What should i be looking at in that price range?

Thanks

Philip

And I am located on long island but at least 15 miles from salt water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast