Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Need to be set straight. I am on long island, ny where electricity costs a fortune. Building a new house. Is it correct that heat pumps use a lot less electricity than heat strips? My contractor friend seems to think that I should just go with heat strips because of all the additional wear i would be putting on the compressor year round instead of during the summer to run the heat pump. I would like any input......

Thanks

Philip

Well, of course it'll wear out faster running year round vs just in the summer months. But, since it's designed to run it really isn't going to wear out much faster. It's almost impossible to say how long a piece of equipment will live, but even a heat pump should last 10-15 years or much more if it's installed and most importantly taken care of properly.

Energy use is based off of electric heat, that being 100% efficient. A heat pump is generally 200-300% effcient, producing 2-3 watts of energy for every watt used.

A heat pump is a no brainer, especially if you have high electric rates.

Rheem and carrier seem to have very efficient models. Are their performance #'s inflated or in your experience are they pretty accurate. The goodman systems are far less expensive but it appears the rheem and carrier high end models would save a lot of money. Is it worth spending the extra dough for these?

What is this contractor friend. By doing your homework now could keep your fuel cost low. just a thought, oil is not a dirty word is it.

he is a homebuilder but obviously isnt an expert in this stuff like you guys are. We have always had all electric. I do not want oil in my house at all and there is no gas available here.

Thumbs up Good Windows, Insulation & High Efficiency

Originally posted by pooka16
    Long island, NY where electricity costs a fortune.
    New house

Is it correct that heat pumps use a lot less electricity than heat strips? Philip
    What size house and type of windows that you will be using ?

Rate$ > $0.18/ kW ?
    Select Heat Pump 9.0 HSPF/ 16 SEER or better.

I believe that your
    time weighted C.O.P. may be close to 3
    with somewhat milder temperatures on Long Island.

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...mps/XL16i.aspx

http://www.trane.com/Residential/Pro...ableSpeed.aspx

AND seal the house to minimize infiltration ...
    + achieve < 0.2 A.C.H.

http://www.airtightinsulation.com
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

A heat pump will give you on average 2 to 3 times the heat per KW of electricity as compared to strip heat.

That is a substancial savings as compared to straight electric.

paul

The house is 2story 4800 sq ft without the basement which is another 2700sq ft. all windows are schuco triple pane with gas. We are getting spray foam insulation. we are paying $.11 per kw

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by pooka16
    The house is 2story 4800 sq ft without the basement which is another 2700sq ft. all windows are schuco triple pane with gas. We are getting spray foam insulation. we are paying $.11 per kw

With great windows and insulation,insist on a Manual J load calulation,and Manual D duct design,for your comfort!!

Insist!!,if needed youcan do it yourself at the red"hvac calc tab above!!

Read more about them at http://www.acca.org

The only difference i see between the xL16 and XL19 is that the XL19 has two compressors........is this worth the added expense? What is D duct?

To size the heating equipment to the home, Manual J.

To size the supply/return ducting to each room, Manual D.

These are essential for a proper, efficient, trouble-free system!

update...need help again

USed the HVAC calc and coming up with 6 tons for the entire house..... 2 floors and the basement.

I've decided on the heat pump based on everybodys recommendation but the next problem is brand/Seer...

My friend is telling me to go goodman since parts are pretty inexpensive and easy to get. Supposely trane and carrier arent for the do it yourself person and they wont honor the warranty if a licensed installer doesnt do the work...... The highest seer on a goodman is 14 where as the trane/carrier is 19......is it worth the extra expense?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Philip

If your going to do it yourself, use goodman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast