Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lennox Solar?

Post Likes

Lennox Solar?

I clicked the banner ad at the top of the page for "Lennox Solar". What makes the Lennox solar equipment different?

Post Likes
    Solar panels are installed to provide some of the energy to power the HVAC equipment. The concept is that it decreases the need for power from the electric grid to heat and cool your home.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Post Likes
    It's just a marketing gimmick - good installation/service practices and energy efficiency upgrades can save far more energy than some dinky solar panels produce, at a fraction of the cost.

Post Likes
    But large panels of photo-voltaic cells on your roof are so sexy from the road as you drive by.... That is BY FAR their biggest selling point.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACTechNC View Post
    But large panels of photo-voltaic cells on your roof are so sexy from the road as you drive by.... That is BY FAR their biggest selling point.
    Not to mention how they are only capturing about 25% of the energy hitting them unlike solar water heating which can capture about 3 times the energy.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    It all depends on your electric rate. In my area, electricity is too cheap for a payback over the panel life. Your area may be different. They can provide nearly all of the power required for the heat pump or AC, but if you have a power failure the inverters shut down.

There is a 30% federal tax credit with no cap for the solar part of the job. There may be state tax credits as well.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    They can provide nearly all of the power required for the heat pump or AC, but if you have a power failure the inverters shut down.
    What happens when there's no call for heating or cooling? Does the electricity get dumped back into the grid?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    What happens when there's no call for heating or cooling? Does the electricity get dumped back into the grid?
    Yes. the panels supply electric weather or not your HVAC equipment is running.

If you produce more then 1 mega watt a year, many power companies are require to pay you for it then.

Post Likes
    So the "solar cooling" is pure marketing gimmick, no different than a conventional A/C with and solar panels installed on the house?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    So the "solar cooling" is pure marketing gimmick, no different than a conventional A/C with and solar panels installed on the house?
    Other then the lennox upper end are designed to have the Solar connected through them, no.

Post Likes
    Didn't I read that this power only ran the fan on the unit, not the compressor?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    Didn't I read that this power only ran the fan on the unit, not the compressor?

that was the older unit with 1 panel.

the new units can take up to 15 panels and will backfeed into the house if the a/c is not running.

Post Likes
    Wouldn't it be better to put a stand alone PV system on the house, rather than something tied to the HVAC system? If the HVAC system needs to be replaced, would you need to retrofit the PV panels to work stand alone, or are they already set up that way, just marketed by Lennox as part of their system?

Post Likes
    I have a customer that had 3kw of solar panels on his house. 3 ton heat pump. It's central Texas weather. Keeps his house 78 during summertime. He said it lowered his electric bill $50 a month if that puts your savings in perspective.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    They can work stand alone. The A/C system is set up to make it easier to install the PV system, thats all.

Post Likes
    In our region, it probably wouldn't make sense. To qualify for the MicroFIT (under 10Kw Feed In Tariff) program, your panels and inverters need to have a certain percentage of domestic content. Bypassing the MicroFIT program would be uneconomical - OPA pays you 80.2 cents per kWh for energy sent to the grid, while you buy it back for around 10 cents.

Because of this, solar installations in Ontario always send 100% of their power through the export meter, rather than using it for internal building loads directly.

Even if it weren't for the MicroFIT dynamics here in Ontario, if I was going to spend the money on a solar PV system, I'd probably want it to be stand alone rather than tied to a major appliance such as my HVAC system unless there was some serious cost savings in doing so.

Post Likes
    The Lennox system doesn't need to be ran through the HVAC system.

Post Likes
    For cooling after the sun goes down.......would you not need a large bank of 6V HD batteries to release their electricity via an inverter to change voltage back into 120V AC?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Osgood Conklin View Post
    For cooling after the sun goes down.......would you not need a large bank of 6V HD batteries to release their electricity via an inverter to change voltage back into 120V AC?
    This isn't an "off grid" solution, so you still have your connection to utility power to take care of that.

Post Likes
    Well, yeah I knew that. But why pay the power company when you have cheap power already stored up in your battery bank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in