Thread: duct work

Hmm duct work

i have a 1400 sq ft house, im installing a 60,000 btu furnace a 2 1/2 ton condensor. all the walls r tore out and r being well insulated, i have a total of 11 supplies and 3 lower returns in bedrooms prolly 6 x 10 x 7" flex that will pull a joist pocket and 1 big 14" flex bag for the living room and rest of the area its a open concept. 5 supplies r under 12 ' from trunk line over the windows and doors 6 r about 20' from trunk line totaling about 180 ' insulated flex total.
    I was thinking of running about 20' of duct work for the supplies it is a horizontal in a attic, i was thinking of 8x20 ,8x16, or maybe 8x16 and 8x14, return cfm is only 1200 ,,,,does any 1 think this is the way to do it...am i on the rite track.......does anyone have any advice on the supply trunk size .
    or is this rite ...all advice will be greatly appreciated thanks.

I have very important advice...

Call a professional

Quote Originally Posted by hvacsteve82 View Post
    I have very important advice...

Call a professional
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Quote Originally Posted by skruff33 View Post
    i have a 1400 sq ft house, im installing a 60,000 btu furnace a 2 1/2 ton condensor. all the walls r tore out and r being well insulated,
    ...Air seal those walls before stuffing air filters in 'em.

Oh, and get a proper load calc before purchasing grossly oversized equipment.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

flex that will pull a joist pocket ...

does this mean the joist bay is the supply?
    gotta seal that baby air tight. and then a little tighter.

you should get a pro.
    this isn't a diy site. fyi

best of luck
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Wow, goo luck with your high energy bills and breathing in insulation. I would pay somebody who knows what they are doing, anybody that gives you advice, I can almost assure you will give you advice to do it wrong.

JOHN RUSKIN (1819-1900)

"It is unwise to pay too much, but it is worse to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money...that is all.
    When you pay too little you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the things it was bought to do.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot...it cannot be done.
    If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
    And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
    There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell for a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only, are this man's lawful prey"
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

This is not a DIY site. Good luck!! My advice is same as below, call a professional! Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    JOHN RUSKIN (1819-1900)

"It is unwise to pay too much, but it is worse to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money...that is all.
    When you pay too little you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the things it was bought to do.
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot...it cannot be done.
    If you deal with the lowest bidder it is well to add something for the risk you run.
    And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better.
    There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell for a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only, are this man's lawful prey"
    That's really excellent! Wish I was more well read.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    That's really excellent! Wish I was more well read.
    I stole it from the Business and Marketing Forum on here

But I had heard it from a few trainers before, this just seemed like the right time to use it.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

nice quote..gonna save that one!

best of luck OP
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quote Originally Posted by trouble time View Post
    Does anyone even know what a ditto is anymore, lol. Even a xerox is dated, copy that, lol.

Paying the money to have someone do your design (heat loss/heat gain and system design). This actually is cost effective. Don't take the penny wise pound foolish approach. Poorly sized units with incorrect duct sizes are not corrected without money being spent. Keep momma happy have a professional do the design.

skruff33.

From your previous post. It looks like your somewhat new to the industry. Get your post count up to 15, and apply for pro membership. Once accepted, you can ask questions in the pro forums, and get the help you need.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?