Goodman GSX13 for 1,900 sq ft townhome - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    By the way, you get what you pay for... If you want the best be willing to pay for the best...
    If we didn't do this what would we do for fun?

Old Unit
    Carrier Furnace Model: 58GS125-4B Serial: 3091A01858
    Carrier Air Conditioner # 38TKB042300 Serial: 119E31004

New Proposed Unit
    Goodman Furnace Model: GMH8
    Goodman Air Conditioner Model GSX13
    Ultra Violet Air Sterilizer
    Humidifier
    What size were you quoted?

What kind of house is it heating?

Based on the old model numbers, the furnace appears to be 125k BTUs and the a/c is 3.5 tons.

If I'm correct, chances are that the furnace is grossly oversized (70k 95% eff or 80k 80% is what you would typically see in a house of your size) and the a/c is on the large side unless there's no attic insulation or a lot of window surface area.

You were quoted low end equipment.

In Canada mid efficiency furnaces aren't even available any more - they're essentially obsolete.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    What size were you quoted?

What kind of house is it heating?

Based on the old model numbers, the furnace appears to be 125k BTUs and the a/c is 3.5 tons.

If I'm correct, chances are that the furnace is grossly oversized (70k 95% eff or 80k 80% is what you would typically see in a house of your size) and the a/c is on the large side unless there's no attic insulation or a lot of window surface area.

You were quoted low end equipment.

In Canada mid efficiency furnaces aren't even available any more - they're essentially obsolete.

The house is a split level town house, 1,900 sq feet. There is NO attic but the problem is that I cant get a bigger unit in because of the door sizes and the back yard is blocked on both sides by neighbors.

I am a little confused though.... Does the new unit have better specs than the old unit ?

Quote Originally Posted by luxor View Post
    The house is a split level town house, 1,900 sq feet. There is NO attic but the problem is that I cant get a bigger unit in because of the door sizes and the back yard is blocked on both sides by neighbors. What makes you think you need a BIGGER unit?

I am a little confused though.... Does the new unit have better specs than the old unit ? Yes, as far as efficiency goes.
    What you end up with depends on the contractor who sizes and installs the new equipment. The national average installed efficiency and capacity is about 60% of the rated (potential) efficiency and capacity.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12