Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Goodman GSX13 for 1,900 sq ft townhome

Curenlty living in a split level townhouse that is 1900 sq ft in Staten Island New York. We use air conditioning 5 months and heating 5 months.

The house is normally hot in the summer months on the upper levels and cold in the winter months on the lower levels.

We currently have a Carrier Model # 38TKB042300 which I am guessing is 80%, 11 Seer 125,000 BTU ... I am not expert so I might be wrong, I am just going by what some companies told me I have.

I am about to go with a Goodman GSX13 80%, 2 Stage, 13 Seer unit for about xxx with installation. It will also include new humidifier and air ionizer. 10 yr warranty is another $xxx

Questions that I need help with:

Is my old unit 11 Seer ?
    is this new unit adequate for my house size and layout ?
    Does the price sound fair ?
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 09-15-2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: removed pricing

We are not allowed to discuss pricing - please read the rules...
    If we didn't do this what would we do for fun?

Welcome,
    Please remove pricing...forum rules.

Quote Originally Posted by luxor View Post
    ...I am about to go with a Goodman GSX13 80%, 2 Stage, 13 Seer unit for about $$$$ with installation. It will also include new humidifier and air ionizer. 10 yr warranty is another $$$$.

Questions that I need help with:

Is my old unit 11 Seer ? I don't know.
    is this new unit adequate for my house size and layout ? I don't know.
    Does the price sound fair? I can't say.
    I do know that replacing the equipment will not change the pattern of discomfort. That is an air distribution (ductwork) problem.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

sorry guys, where do I edit my post ?

That being said... 11 SEER is probably pushing it... And I doubt that you have a 125000 btu furnace on a 3.5 ton evap coil / condenser... Something doesn't sound right with the numbers you have provided...

I am also pretty sure that no manufacture make a 2 stage 13 SEER unit - most manufactures don't go to a 2 stage condenser until about 16 SEER...

Please provide model and serial numbers of existing and the same for what you have been preposed and we will be glad to help with everything that the site allows...

Try getting a quote from a company on the contactor locator on this site.

There is no such thing as a gsx13 2 stage, the closest 2 stage is the gsxc16. Make sure you are not being told the gsx13 is a 2 stage unit, wouldn't be the first time its happened... As far as adequacy goes, that's all determined by the heat loss/gain calculation that should be done by every contractor proposing equipment.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Being in new york, you shouldn't consider a mid efficiency furnace unless it is to be installed in an attic, garage, or uninsulated crawl space which drops below freezing.

Not sure they meant by ionizer.

13 SEER is fine but I wouldn't go for goodman's version because it doesn't have high/low pressure switches. (gsx14 does)
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

What the OP is saying is the condenser is a GSX 13 SEER matched to a 2-stage furnace which most most Goodman furnaces are. The ionizer is most like a basic electronic air cleaner.

To the OP Lynn is correct changing the equipment will not fix your problem, find someone that will address your ductwork problems. A properly designed and installed zoning system could go along way toward fixing the problem.

Ok so here are my updated specs of OLD and NEW unit. The main issue is not the uneven heating and cooling... its that that my evaporator pan is rusted and leaking and the unit is 25 YO so I figure I would upgrade the entire unit.

Old Unit
    Carrier Furnace Model: 58GS125-4B Serial: 3091A01858
    Carrier Air Conditioner # 38TKB042300 Serial: 119E31004

New Proposed Unit
    Goodman Furnace Model: GMH8
    Goodman Air Conditioner Model GSX13
    Ultra Violet Air Sterilizer
    Humidifier

Where is the contractor locator ?

Where is the contractor locator ?
    Right above the forum you are in now.

Ok so here are my updated specs of OLD and NEW unit. The main issue is not the uneven heating and cooling... its that that my evaporator pan is rusted and leaking and the unit is 25 YO so I figure I would upgrade the entire unit.

Old Unit
    Carrier Furnace Model: 58GS125-4B Serial: 3091A01858
    Carrier Air Conditioner # 38TKB042300 Serial: 119E31004

New Proposed Unit
    Goodman Furnace Model: GMH8
    Goodman Air Conditioner Model GSX13
    Ultra Violet Air Sterilizer
    Humidifier
    That does look like a 125 K furnace.

That is a decent furnace maybe a little loud. An 80 % furnace is good choice for Houston but for New York, you might want to consider a more efficient furnace.

Air distribution may not be your major concern right now but it is apparently something you have an issue with and the best time to address these issues is when installing new equipment. Most importantly proper sizing of the equipment is crucial to efficiency and comfort as well as equipment longevity.

I'll be damned...

'Course I do live in Texas so not much of a heating season here, guess that would be more "normal" in cooler areas...

My final advice will be - get a PRO involved and tell them exactly what you want and any problems that you would like to have addressed while replacing the equipment.

Ask your friends and neighbors who they use and recommend as well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast