+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hourly rate for apprentice

Post Likes

hourly rate for apprentice

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

So i srarted work at my company in 07 18 years old never done hvac before now im 23 an going for my sm-2 licence, i dont think my company likes me very much because your surpost to get a raise every 1/4 of the apprenticeship. First 1/4 i think is 15% of wat you make im at 11$ so i should get 2$? They only want to give me .30 cents.

After my schooling whats the minimum i should be making?

Post Likes
    Im 38 and after HVAC/R school I took a 1/3 pay cut and after working almost 2 years still havnt made it up to what I used to make. Just takes time and effort. I have heard of service techs making $100k in a year. Maybe not lately. Study and learn and be honest. It wil pay off.

Post Likes
    I don't think you're 'supposed' to get anything. Unless you're union, most employers base raises on quality of work, attendance/tardiness, determination, and learning ability... also raises could reflect how the company is doing. Usually they'll do an evaluation on you for every raise. I made 8 an hour when i started, then jumped up to 10.75 after about 6 months and after a year went to 11.25. I think 50 cent raise increments are the norm, too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    Im 38 and after HVAC/R school I took a 1/3 pay cut and after working almost 2 years still havnt made it up to what I used to make. Just takes time and effort. I have heard of service techs making $100k in a year. Maybe not lately. Study and learn and be honest. It wil pay off.
    Making a 100k is easy in refrigeration.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lanni2 View Post

So i srarted work at my company in 07 18 years old never done hvac before now im 23 an going for my sm-2 licence, i dont think my company likes me very much because your surpost to get a raise every 1/4 of the apprenticeship. First 1/4 i think is 15% of wat you make im at 11$ so i should get 2$? They only want to give me .30 cents.

Sounds like your company is screwing you... We pay our brand new guys around $15 to start. 1st year apprentice makes $18 and each year u get $3.30 raise.

Post Likes
    A lot depends on the local market pricing structure. Cost of living varies greatly. A 150k house in my area would be well over a million dollar home in the San Francisco area.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    Company has the money too its not small, plumbing,hvac,and fire.

What gets me mad im from ri, were always in ct and ny, other people get to pick where they want to work so they stick us in ny. And people making more then me work so slow, i work fast an still they dont care they tell me to pick up the pace

Post Likes

Lanni2

Lanni:

By "sm-2 license," I assume your state must have a sheetmetal mechanic specialty designation(?). Is this a state LICENSE, or a certification? I assume it's not a license, and at the rates of pay and time you are talking about, you must not be union.

If you are actually in a state-sponsored apprenticeship program, you should have an apprenticeship agreement. That agreement usually states the rate of pay that is to be paid for each year in the apprentice program, and these rates are usually based on percentage of a journeyman's pay. In "right-to-work" states, the journeyman rate is established by the company, usually as agreed to by the state agency that handles apprenticeship programs.

Usually, the percentages of the journeyman rate are about 40%, 55%, 65%, and 80% for years 1 through four, respectively, for a four-year program (this varies by state). I know some states now have a five-year program for HVAC, so those percentages will obviously be different.
    If I read your latest post right, you say you work for a Rhode Island company. If that is correct, you need to go to the Rhode Island office that deals with licensing and certification of tradesmen and get their rules; but you should have a copy of your apprenticeship agreement, as I mentioned above, and that should tell you what you are looking for.

If you are not really in any kind of FORMAL apprenticeship program, then I guess you are subject to the whim of the company. In that case, your pay may be purely up to the company management.

In any event, given the area you are in, and assuming that you have dutifully, consistently, and reliably performed your work, taken the apprentice classes for your trade, and learned the trade at an average worker's rate, I would think you would be making no less than 70% of an average journeyman's rate. I have not worked in RI, NY, or CT, but I can't imagine a journeyman's rate in any of those places being less than $20/hour at the very least, probably plus some type of health insurance assistance and/or a week's paid vacation.

I'm long-winded. Sorry. I hope the above helps.

Post Likes
    in chicago you get paid what ever you agree to work for. employers whom don't care about their reputation pay far less because they deal in volume and can replace guys quickly. unfortunate as that is it's true everywhere. what kind of company do you work for? union scale for a apprentice in midwest starts at $16hr. and increase as you finish union tranning. non-union companies for a 6 or 7 year guy are $18 to $24hr.

Post Likes
    Im from ri, the companys in ct, its a state sheet metal licence im going for

In the booklet it states after schooling i get a min. 18$ but this guy hires kids he knows personaily an starts them off at 11-12 no exp.

Post Likes
    Non union, commercial work, we have 4-7 jobsites going on

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    100K a year. Not as a base 40hr workweek, lets not count techs who work 80hr weeks. The ones that do make near that are senior industrial techs that were around when old W. Carrier invented the 1st electrically powered a/c unit.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes
    Welll man go talk to other shops then if you got some experience you should be able to find another offer.... and if u like it where you are use it as leverage you could be like i have an offer for x amount here. Its worth a try

Post Likes

Here is the deal, if you are good you should be making around $18, now if you are more or less dead weight $11/hr is more than enough, certifications dont mean much what really counts is how much money you bring back to your employer at the end of the day.

Post Likes
    Me my brother an dad work for same company, were first there, last to leave, us 3 are called the rescure crew cuz other jobs fall behind they send us. so idk im gonn finish my school an be like what you think about 18 a hour

Post Likes
    Me my brother an dad work for same company, were first there, last to leave, us 3 are called the rescure crew cuz other jobs fall behind they send us. so idk im gonn finish my school an be like what you think about 18 a hour
    that's how I would say it ''yo, what u think about $18hr''.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes
    Itd be nice to start making real money

Post Likes
    i agree with Wester399, take your skills and use them to your advantage. gross profit is the bottom line for your employer. although it does sound like your company lets these kids get their foot in the door, wich is good too. we all started somewhere. i'm sure your employer is charging journeyman rate for the greenhorns on the jobsite. mine did for 9 years untill i reached jourenyman fitter.

Post Likes
    Im pretty good i can avg 6-7 rooms a day of running flex, each room 7 runs.
    We can pull 28 rooms of copper in a day we work fast an the others work slow an they want us to work faster like wtf?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in