+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low boy replacement.......

Post Likes

Re: Re: liners

Originally posted by madeinusa
    You know, for someone who likes to run their ignorant mouth against Jim like you do, it sure is funny how you were not intelligent enough to pickup on a very dangerous situation in these pictures, but one of Jim’s students had to point it out to you.

I won’t identify what it is. I will wait a week or two and see if you are smart enough to identify it after you go ask someone else.
    [/B]

Does it have anything to do with a Induced Draft Furnace being common vented with a nat. draft waterheater ? Thats the only thing that I see that I do not like .

Ross Kious

Post Likes

Re: Re: Re: liners

Originally posted by rkious
    Originally posted by madeinusa
    You know, for someone who likes to run their ignorant mouth against Jim like you do, it sure is funny how you were not intelligent enough to pickup on a very dangerous situation in these pictures, but one of Jim’s students had to point it out to you.

I won’t identify what it is. I will wait a week or two and see if you are smart enough to identify it after you go ask someone else.

Does it have anything to do with a Induced Draft Furnace being common vented with a nat. draft waterheater ? Thats the only thing that I see that I do not like .

Ross Kious [/B]

? ?

Post Likes
    the vent riser has to be 12"

Post Likes
    Originally posted by tostaos
    the vent riser has to be 12"
    You are exactly right. To bad Mr. mouth hearthman could not see something so dangerous and obvious. He is to busy slandering one of the leading CO experts in country.

The water heater is producing MAJOR CO spillage in that setup, I guarantee you.

To make matters even worse, the flue is not even a cone shape. It is just a flat piece of metal with a vent pipe stuck on top. That is the most dangerous flue I have ever seen. You might as well not even have a flue on that ignorant design.

Edit: The furnace could have used a 12" riser also.

[Edited by madeinusa on 01-13-2006 at 02:30 AM]

Post Likes

Post Likes
    If the chimney meets the 7 times rule, the National Fuel Gas Code should allow this install (inside chimney) without a metal liner. The code says: the flow area of the chimney cannot be more than 7 times the outlet area of the smallest draft hood appliance. So in this case, as probably all, the water heater. In most cases, that's 3" diameter or 7 sq inches so the interior of the tile liner cannot be more than 49 sq inches. But in this case, at a glace, it appears to be a big draft hood which probably has a 4" outlet meaning the tile liner can be larger. This is the NFGC, local codes may say otherwise.

While the 90 on the WH outlet isn't the greatest or might not even meet code, if the chimney is drawing properly I bet the WH vents fine. Pretty typical around here, especially as water heaters keep getting taller.

Is that a 2 stage furnace? If so, should be vented in B-vent as should any 80% furnace venting into a chimney.

As for condensation, I saw an outside chimney on an 80 degree day. We were getting ready to line it but the installers fired the furnace to get temp rise and clock the meter with a temporary flue pipe up. After just 10-15 minutes of running on a warm day, that tile liner was dripping wet clear to the top. Imagine if it had been 2 above zero how much that liner would be condensing. Inside chimney probably does just as much which is why we tend to line every chimney we can.

Post Likes

water heater?

I had nothing to do with that that water heater, my hands are washed from that, i suppose I can agree with the liner needing to be installed though...other than that...it's not my problem, nothing can be done with a 12" riser at this point, we'll see how things go.

Post Likes
    I guess it's not all that fair I bring up chimney lining and B-vent issues much as our normal winter temps hover around -20 to -40 during the winter. So many of the common issues posted here are different. Being a minority is a lonely place here... *sigh*

The need for a B-vent tee before it ascends up any chimney is code and necessary here too.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in