Thread: Ventilation Rqmt in Mechanical Room

Post Likes

Ventilation Rqmt in Mechanical Room

Hello pros,
    Appreciate any advice you offer. We are remodeling a basement in our 10 year old home by adding a bedroom to an open space that includes a furnace and water heater on one end. The furnace is a HE gas Trane unit with intake and combustion air vented outside, that was added last year by the previous owners. The 80k BTU gas water heater has an electric blower on top, but I believe the combustion air comes from the room. This new downsized mechanical room is about 9' x 11.5' with a 9' ceiling. There was conditioned air delivered into the room before the remodel started, but that has now been sealed.

Today our contractor said he needed to add an air passage vent from one of the adjacent living spaces to the mechanical room. Do we really need to do this? Can adding a replacement conditioned air vent meet this need?
    Brian

Post Likes
    No, you need the properly sized pass thru grills (ceiling and floor) to communicate to a large enough space to provide combustion air.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    An 80,000 BTU gas fired appliance needs a free air volume of 4,000 cubic foot. So yes, you need to have combustion air added to that room.

Post Likes
    I was afraid that would be the answer. We'll make it work. Thanks for the help!
    Brian

Post Likes
    Kick the low efficiency pig to the curb. Install a 98% efficient sealed combustion on demand water heater and you can leave the room alone.

Post Likes
    Make sure they follow IFGC section 304 and IMC section 702.3,---702.3.1 and 702.3.2

also IFGC section 303
    Last edited by second opinion; 09-14-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: left out 303

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Kick the low efficiency pig to the curb. Install a 98% efficient sealed combustion on demand water heater and you can leave the room alone.
    +1. If the hot water heater is the original builder grade unit, it's worth replacing. I'd get a HE unit as mentioned above. One AO Smith unit has enough output capacity that it can provide almost continous hot water almost like a on demand system. I plan to install one of those in the next few years to get my flue out of my chimney... or rather to stop using my 86 y/o brick probably unlined chimney as a flue.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BC Eagle View Post
    Hello pros,
    Appreciate any advice you offer. We are remodeling a basement in our 10 year old home by adding a bedroom to an open space that includes a furnace and water heater on one end. The furnace is a HE gas Trane unit with intake and combustion air vented outside, that was added last year by the previous owners. The 80k BTU gas water heater has an electric blower on top, but I believe the combustion air comes from the room. This new downsized mechanical room is about 9' x 11.5' with a 9' ceiling. There was conditioned air delivered into the room before the remodel started, but that has now been sealed.

Today our contractor said he needed to add an air passage vent from one of the adjacent living spaces to the mechanical room. Do we really need to do this? Can adding a replacement conditioned air vent meet this need?
    Brian
    omg yes! its the only sure way to do it. cutting a hole in a wall doesnt mean air will go into that room.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    No, you need the properly sized pass thru grills (ceiling and floor) to communicate to a large enough space to provide combustion air.

are you suggesting taking ventilation air from inside the structure/living ares?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    An 80,000 BTU gas fired appliance needs a free air volume of 4,000 cubic foot. So yes, you need to have combustion air added to that room.
    even a 90+ 2-pipe?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Isn't it true that transfer air can be through openings or mechanically induced through a fan? The problem I see with the A/C vent is that there is no guarantee that the unit will be running to bring in air when the gas water heater is firing.

Couldn't a dedicated supply fan be used to blow air into the room, either a constantly running or interlocked with the water heater, as an option?

Post Likes
    You are not allowed ato put a non sealed combustion gas water heater in a bedroom, I would think you shouldn't take combustion air from that room through grilles either. Better call the code enforcement officer or fire chief on thar one first

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerman856 View Post
    You are not allowed ato put a non sealed combustion gas water heater in a bedroom, I would think you shouldn't take combustion air from that room through grilles either. Better call the code enforcement officer or fire chief on thar one first
    Boilerman856,

Read and follow AOP forum rules.

You should apply for Professional Membership.

Post Likes

Hello Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Boilerman856,

Read and follow AOP forum rules.

You should apply for Professional Membership.
    Although there is a good reason to have and follow rules, even if they are newly instituted, I would like to point out that what boilerman said, in no uncertain terms, is what secondopinion referenced in his post.
    Clearly boilerman has been very forthright and correct in warning the OP with his remarks and is right in doing so in a potentially dangerous situation.

So I think if your post could have begun with a thank you, agreed with him and then invite him to apply. The OP might have gotten the idea that boilerman's concerns were not valid.
    NO GAS APPLIANCES IN SLEEPING AREAS ALLOWED
    We would like to see the occupants wake up in the morning
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes

Confused

Thank you genduct. I am fairly new to this world of forums and apparently keep stepping on someones toes. I am not sure what rule i broke this time but i am open to help anytime. I am having printer trouble at home so applying for pro has been impossible lately. When it is fixed i will certainlyt do so. Thanks again

Post Likes
    I try not to pass judgement on anyones posts unless I find the advice wildly inappropriate.

You posted advice in AOP forums without following the rules.

At this point, the quality of your advice is immaterial. You are not a Professional Member * of this site and thus are not permitted by site rules to post any advice in the AOP forums.

I invite you to apply for professional membership, then apply for the AOP *.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerman856 View Post
    What he said !!!! Now it is legal.
    Bad information is worse than no information at all.

There are three kinds of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't!

Post Likes

Hello Smity

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I try not to pass judgement on anyones posts unless I find the advice wildly inappropriate.

You posted advice in AOP forums without following the rules.

At this point, the quality of your advice is immaterial. You are not a Professional Member * of this site and thus are not permitted by site rules to post any advice in the AOP forums.

I invite you to apply for professional membership, then apply for the AOP *.
    It kinda sounded like you were criticizing the boilerman for my remarks. I don't think that is true but in case it is please don't think badly of him for my remarks.
    As I said, I understand this new approach is going to take some getting used to, and your job is to ermind us, but I thought it would be helpful to share the idea that your taking issue with the boilerman's status could have allowed the OP to ignore some sound advice, SO in this effort to enforce the rules would it have been too much for you to respond to boilermans good advice along with your encouragement to apply for PRO Status?

Just wondering is all, Mike
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Get a direct vent water heater.

problem solved.

Doesn't even have to be an instant water heater.
    State Select makes a 2 pipe water heater, along with the AO smith vortex.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    It kinda sounded like you were criticizing the boilerman for my remarks. I don't think that is true but in case it is please don't think badly of him for my remarks.
    As I said, I understand this new approach is going to take some getting used to, and your job is to ermind us, but I thought it would be helpful to share the idea that your taking issue with the boilerman's status could have allowed the OP to ignore some sound advice, SO in this effort to enforce the rules would it have been too much for you to respond to boilermans good advice along with your encouragement to apply for PRO Status?

Just wondering is all, Mike

My point stands, The purpose of these forums is for qualified and vetted Professionals to offer advice to homeowners in need.

Regardless of the quality of his advice (and I don't deal with fuel burning equipment within living spaces and cannot accurately comment on what is and is not 'code', by the way), it really makes no difference.

There are rules and the rules are in place for a reason.

Post Likes

I'll go quietly!

No need to call the Police!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in