Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lonestarheir - Thanks for the information

Sounds like you just need to call another contractor out. I would recommend having the contractor perform a full assessment on the unit and put that IN WRITING.

Your ticket should have psi's including SH and SC, Voltage and ampere (VA) readings - before and after the contactor for the compressor, and VA readings on motors, evaluate capacitance on the caps (which could cause a motor to overheat, if under), and clean RA box and coils plus replace filter with pleated. BTW, make sure they log all the FLA and capacitance ratings plus the freon type on the sheet so you'll be able to identify what appears out of parameters.

Doing all this, at a minimum, would then give you factual data to work with to evaluate / troubleshoot your potential cause for thermal OL's on your compressor.

Nobody on here is going to able to accurately t/s your problem with the little information you've provided, without taking a shot in the dark! For all we know you could have had a freon leak last summer on a discharge line that leaked a lot of oil out of the compressor causing lack of lubrication. Ultimately, we are all just guessing without data!

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    The capacitor would not cause the problem that you stated.

Yes R22 condensers are still available.

No you should not just install the outdoor unit.
    Did you find your invoice with the diagnostic information on it, and can you post it?
    If you could post more information related to the service call and the equipment it might be possible to help help rather than speculate.

I would avoid the "Good Quality" pleated filters. They are highly restrictive to air flow and can reduce the performance of the system. They may be contributing to your problem.

I would want to test your air flow with instruments to be sure it is adequate before installing a pleat.

I normally see 10% to 20% reduction in measured air flow when going from a fiberglass filter to a pleated filter.

If you have a Variable Speed blower, the pleat is usually OK, but since I don't know your indoor unit model number I can't say.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

I have hosed down the unit

In this field we sometimes only get 1 chance or mistake. I hope you kill power to the unit before washing it down. Intermittent problems can be hard to find. They are sometimes costly but cheaper than your life. It's time for a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by cec39466 View Post
    In this field we sometimes only get 1 chance or mistake. I hope you kill power to the unit before washing it down. Intermittent problems can be hard to find. They are sometimes costly but cheaper than your life. It's time for a pro.
    ?????

This unit is made to be out in the rain. You do not need to be worried about electrocution unless you open the service panel while you are rinsing the unit.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

There are a lot of things that need to be checked in this situation.

Some causes of compressor overheating are:
    1. Is the Compressor's discharge-line temp above 225-F -find & eliminate the cause
    2. Bad circuitry connections resulting in voltage drops
    3. Bad control contractor points
    4. Is superheat & subcooling within tolerances?

There are more casual reasons & performing all the tests will reveal the cause or multiple causes.

Check the compressor's terminals & use a capacitor tester to verify both compressor & condenser blower motor are performing properly.

Perhaps the condenser blower motor is slowing down...

Is the compressor's oil being properly returned, etc.

ohhh no no no. Your system is toasted! It is no good. You are gonna have to throw it all away. The problem you are having is due to freon worms. You get those during the colder months if you forget to change from summer to winter freon. Them worms just love to eat up that summer freon lolol

I would suggest if that company has come out twice and can't figure out the problem it is time to talk to a supervisor or change companies. Specially if they are charging you for each call individually at full cost.

Secondly, I would keep your eye on your electric bill and watch the unit to try to find out how long your unit is running. If the unit is running nonstop all day and the temp doesn't keep dropping your unit may not be able to satisfy itself or the circuit is stuck closed. This could be caused by a welded contact along with 80 other things. I would also look into a week timer, ask the technician to find out if that unit has a delay on start timer. If the timer is weak or getting over heated it could be opening the circuit. If he finds it but is not sure it is the problem, it is a very cheap and easy to replace item as a last ditch resort.

Last but not least.........STOP resting the unit. How is the tech suppose to find the issue when the issue is not happening or the unit has been reset and the problem cleared out.

Good Luck!
    Scott
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

It would be in your best interest to get a comprehensive check done on your system before accepting the diagnosis that the compressor is slowly dying. There is a reason that the unit keeps shutting off and a complete analysis should uncover the underlying problem as well as a solution. A total check-out should include airflow measurements, electrical measurements, wet and dry bulb readings and temperature measurements. I would not expect any of the $xx.xx lowball "complete" tune up company's checks to cover all this.
    Avatar is a tribute to my Great Grandfather, Andrew Stewart. This pin was one of his advertisements for his heating and plumbing business. I never knew him but must of inherited his love of things mechanical since I am the only blue collar worker in the family

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12