Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You need to get a pro out there to look at what you have, and they can suggest what would best suit your needs.

Unhappy Is it Preway or the highway?

I have a Preway installed in 1982. I live in Maryland. This week an inspector for a potential buyer found that the outside top of the unit (visible through the upper air vent) has a lot of rust. And now the damper won't open. I assume due to sitting all summer.

The fireplace has worked great even during the past winter. What are my options now? I assume someone can free up the damper but can the outer rust be removed?

I see from this thread that Preway is gone. Is there any manufacture whose unit would fit? How much am I looking at.

A lot of questions, I know. Thanks much.

I would see if you can get a certified chimney sweep out there to inspect and sign off on the unit and flue. If the damper can be freed up I am not sure why the surface rust would be a problem, but you need a fireplace expert to check it out and not some home inspector.

If the sweep condemns it you might have to sell the house with the fireplace as-is and let the buyer replace it with whatever they want. We have seen this done a lot around here. It does not make sense to replace it for the buyer, what if its not what they want? A lot of people are tearing those old Preways out and putting in Gas units.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12