Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry

Anyone know how i can contact Preway Fireplaces? Trying to order replacement parts, but can't find them on web. Replacement refractories for pre-fab woodburner, to be exact. Model# BE411 AP. They are based out of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Talking go fish

Sorry man, but Preway is now Post-way as in out of business and has been for about 15 yrs. If you need replacement refractory panels, you can probably find a chimney sweep who will risk installing generic cut-to-fit panels for you. You ought to be thinking about replacing that old clunker with a modern fireplace backed by a major mfr who is able to provide parts & warranty on it.

Good post Hearthman, but which manufacturers are likely to be around in 20 years?

I get asked all the time to recommend fireplaces and fireplace manufacturers. I tend to like to tell people that in my imagination, the characters in the "Dilbert" comic strip are designing gas fireplaces, not software.

My bias is towards Heat N Glow, Heatilator and Lennox. Not because their equipment is any better, but just because I IMAGINE that it will be possible to get needed parts on those fireplaces in 15-20 years.

Other ideas and opinions are solicited.

Seattle Pioneer

Cool

I was kinda hoping Preway did'nt become Postway either, but it is what it is. Thanks for responding Hearthman.

Talking The fix for preway fireplace broken/cracked refractor panels

Ok, I called around to only find out preway is out of business. I had a crack in one of the back panels in this lousey prefab fireplace. There was no way Im going to replace it since, one its in a condo and two, it is built in a 2-story living room and faced in beautiful stone. Ok, so what did I do? I removed the cast iron grate, (should have two cotter pins) removed a top decorative piece of sheet metal (a handfull of screws), removed each of the side planels (two retaining clips-ez to remove) then the back plate. I called around to local fireplace distributors to see if they have any refractor panels in their shops. Most decent dealers have better than 40 in stock. Measure your panels and see if they have them larger so you can be cut them to size. Very important, make sure the thickness is correct. I had 3/4 sides and over an inch thick back. With all matching pieces it is best to bring them to someone who has the right wet saw with diamond blade to cut them. They are delicate and brittle. You want no cracks!
    I took mine to a local granite dealer. They have all the right stuff to do the job. Make sure they look before they cut the panels so all the brick grooves line up in all three panels. Once done replace them in the order you took them out. Make sure your firebox has no holes or damage before replacing! Otherwise that is a whole new issue! Also I was told light small fires at first because new panels need to cure. Whole job was a $120 bucks for me, the do-it yourselfer. I would expect it to be a $400 buck job by hiring someone, however I doubt they want the liability. A whole new firebox is about that price not installed. Thats the better way anyway then fixing the pre-way!!

Thumbs down liability?

It's interesting you mentioned that term Realtorguy because you just made a transfer of liability onto your shoulders or an assumption or risk. Congratulations! You are the proud new manufacturer of this fireplace! Moreover, since it does not meet the listing, it would be considered an unlisted installation and therefore illegal in most states. Moreover, if something goes wrong and it endangers neighbors in this condo, you could be found guilty of gross negligence now that I'm notifying you this is a bad idea. You see, you've just changed the heat signature on that fireplace. It is no longer the fireplace Preway built. Therefore, all the clearances just went out the window. Is it really a problem using other brand refractory panels? Who knows? It's untested.

You may pat yourself of the back for saving yourself a few bucks but I wouldn't crow on a public site where it has been saved for posterity. Morever, if anyone takes your advice and has a problem they may have recourse against you.

Did you get a Level II inspection of that fireplace first? Maybe you ought to stick to real estate and leave the repairs to the pros. Sorry but you get a thumbs down.

Hearthman

All that is true, Hearthman.

However, it sounds like the repair done by the property owner was of high quality and it sounds like it ought to do fine. That's no warrenty, of course.

I've seen homeowner repairs that were a disaster waiting to happen. This doesn't sound like one of those.

Seattle Pioneer

Question Preway fireplace

I bought a Preway because it was said to be the best back in 1983. I am presently getting my chase rebuilt and the pipe looks good on the outside. Chimney sweeps tell me all is well each year. What should I worry about--cap and pan?

The flue cap you wont be able to replace, no one makes that venting anymore. Unless you look on ebay or something. Shouldn't really need replacing unless you have a chimney fire and it rusts out. The chase top pan should last quite a while also if it is draining properly and you don't let creosote sit up there from nasty fires.

Exclamation

Sly, you should have a Level II inspection before you spend money enclosing that old Fp. If it is no good, now is the time to replace it..

Hearthman

Question Enclosure of Preway fireplace

Hearthman,

Thanks, you're scaring me. What is a level II inspection? The chimney sweeps who clean and check my fireplace are local firemen with a side chimney business.

Nothing lasts forever, but what are the things that could have gone wrong. At the time, the Preway "energy" fireplace was top of the line-- considered better than Majestic. Preway's business failed because they were too expensive.

Cool who to call?

Go to www/f-i-r-e-service.com and search for a Certified Fireplace Inspector near you. I recommend you find a full time sweep and not some swab job flue flogger.

A Level II includes getting up on the roof, in the attic and taking pics of the flue by digital or video camera. If it warrants it, a Level III means opening permanent construction.

HTH,
    Hearthman

Cool Preway fire place model # FB 24F BLK C

I live in western arizona in a rural town. I have a wood fireplace in the manufactured home I live in. There is an attached Arizona room with entry through the dining room sliding doors. The room is paneled and has it's own exit. I have an air conditioner for summer cooling.
    In the winter I need to heat the room with the Provider Fireplace. I believe I can use wood or wood pellets.
    How do I utilize the fireplace to heat the room? I am a novice. The fireplace hasn't been used since move in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast