Thread: Armstrong Ultra 91

Post Likes

Armstrong Ultra 91

Hello, I have a 125KBTU natural gas furnace that is 10 years old. The furnace has given me no problems in the last 10 years, maintenance has been performed regularly.

My service tech said what usually goes at the 10 year mark is the ignitor, blower motor, pressure switch and induced draft blower. Is he correct, anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Those are the parts that usually go bad on any furnace regardless of age. What are you asking? Should you buy spare parts? I would say no, unless your HVAC guy regularly tells you he cant get to you for a week in an emergency. If that is the case I would find a new HVAC company. IMHO

Post Likes
    Honeywell smart-valve, (if it has one) is also a common problem, along with popped crimp rings on the heat exchanger.
    Besides the board, that pretty much covers every component in the unit.
    I think what he is trying to say is - get ready for some repair bills.
    Seriously, any component can fail at any given time.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    My tech is pretty good but he did say the parts usually take 1-2 days to get in and then the install. So I am considering getting some spare parts as I do have small kids in the house and going without heat in the winter for a day or 2 is not my idea of fun. As the unit is 10 years old and has serviced me well I did not think it was a bad idea. thoughts?

Thanks

Post Likes
    A good company/tech should have enough universal parts on the truck to get a common unit like that up and running.
    What parts do you intend to have on hand?
    You could easily spend enough to buy a new furnace.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    I was simply thinking of the basics
    ignitor, blower and induced draft motor
    the tech said the ignitor is off the shelf but the blower (5 speed) and induced draft motor are not "standard" and take 1-2 days to get.

Post Likes
    If you're that concerned, go buy a few space heaters.
    If you're really concerned, have him install a new furnace.
    As far as the igniter, I would replace it if it is 10 years old.
    I just replaced one this morning on a clean and check. Although it was working, it was over 100 ohms, and I told the client it will most likely fail soon.
    Other than that, I would not buy spare parts just to have on hand.
    Chances are if you buy a blower, and inducer, you'll end up needing a board or a gas valve. This stuff is not cheap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in