Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Manitowoc SM50 Under counter Question

I bought and installed a used one of these machines this month and love it. I do have one question though.

When making ice it is spraying water up into the cups. That I understand but is it suppost to spray water out of the front of the ice making area? A lot of water comes out of the "Flaps" in the front and is making the inside of the machine, door and ice bin very wet.

Is this normal?

Thanks...

I just had one of these in the shop, dont remember any water splashing out. Have you checked to make sure inlet water valve is not leaking thru?

I just replaced the water inlet valve. The previous owner didn't winterize it before he stored it over the winter and that valve broke. (Easy Fix).

The water is spraying up and out of the spray bar assambly and is making cubes just fine. No water is leaking outside of the machine it just seems to be splashing around and out of the Curtain Assembly a bit too much and is getting the inside of the ice bin and inside of the door wetter then I had inticipated...

re spray from front

there should be a water curtain..that clips onto the front sides of the unit - the hole where you see the spray should be covered by a curtain consisting of plastic strips hanging from a metal/steel rod hooked on horizontally across the square hole

re spray from front

there should be a water curtain..that clips onto the front sides of the unit - the hole where you see the spray should be covered by a curtain consisting of plastic strips hanging from a metal/steel rod hooked on horizontally across the square hole- the water that sprays outwards is 'caught' by this curtain and dripns into the tray at the bottom (which is full of holes) that then goes backinto the tank to be resprayed by the pump

Right. That's in there. It's the curtain assembly. All the parts are there but the water is the spray coming out thru the gaps in the "curtain". Just trying to see if this is normal or not.

if the curtain has all its components..(the vertical strips ) and no gap exceeding 2mm between them than the droplets should not be able to 'escape' the curtain except maybe 1 or 2 /1000- if there is more than that ..you either have the wrong curtain or there is a strip missing resulting in excessive gaps allowing the droplets to 'escape'

also check that the little discs in the spray arm isnt blocked..or has a crack in it to allow the spray to shoot directly onto the curtain which would then spray a lot of water outwards everytime the disc came towards the front

I am sure that the curtain has all of the flaps, but I will check on the disks. Thanks for the tip...

another thing ...is that the curtain should be hanging over the detachable grill with holes...make sure it is ..so that any splashes from the spraybar drip right back into the reservoir and not outside (ensure that the grill slot fits round the spraybar coloumn at the centre situated in the centre of the tank

will do

Hi there. I have had the SM50 for 5 months now under my basement bar. I noticed recently a small leak coming from the back left corner area near the leveling foot of the machine. Had service come out this week and they tightened inflow and outflow hoses but said did not see any leaks. Today I went down and noticed leak again. I also noticed that the drain tube is completely full of water. The drain tube travels around 10 feet and goes up a few inches before it reaches the wall drain. Is it possible that the drain is backing up and leaking inside the machine? I see there is a drain pump available for this machine but before I spend the $250 to buy it I want to get opinions if this could be the cause. There is no apparent leakage fro around the drain tube but it is leaking from the right corner. Appreciate the input.

SM50 is the curtain on backwards? It is normal to get some spray out of there though but you are making it sound bad.

iceman A dirty machine, not level or too high of water pressure could leak water from above the evaporator where it comes into the water fill and then it could track down. There is a tray up there and it could be coming over the top. FWIW it is very hard to get the level right if you are pushing it under a counter. Also if you get a pump out drain there isn't a problem with draining up hill.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast