Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vacuuming Refrigerator System (Triple Evacuation)

Hello,

I was vacuuming the residential refrigerator system with 3CFM pump that I've got from Harbor Freight Tools using Supco Vacuum VG64 gauge. Pump was brand new attached through copper hose to suction line, vacuum gauge was connected using one of the gauge manifold flex hoses to high side line. Vacuum gauge stops at 1100 microns and never goes below. After 30-40 minutes it even starts going up to 1200 microns (probably because pump is getting hot and inefficient). I tried to blow it through with dry nitrogen and to do all over again but no results. I purchased new Battery for vacuum gauge but still nothing gets better. I was wondering if I do something wrong or it's bad vacuum gauge?
    Please help!
    Thank you!

Test the pump.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I actually purchased second pump and was running it with the oil added. When I was pressurizing the system and valving it off for 10-15 min no drop was indicated on the vacuum gauge. Seems like there is no leak.

Clean the sensor on the vg64. Do so frequently.
    Hvac Maniac

"A negative attitude cancels out positive skills."

might have something to do with the pump.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Do you think after 4-5 uses vacuum gauge could get bad? but it was steadily keeping the same vacuum for 20 mins and then was going up after 30-40 mins. I poured alcohol inside and capped it for 3-4 days now. I hope it will help.

TO HVACVEGAS

What do you mean I need two wires to condenser??? Do you mean hoses?

Wink Vacuuming refrigerators 101

I have never vacuumed a refrigerator. My wife usually washes it with mild soapy warm water.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Quote Originally Posted by rishat View Post
    What do you mean I need two wires to condenser??? Do you mean hoses?
    That part of the post is not related to your post in anyway. It is my signature, and are things that I say, quite often unfortunetly.

Your micron gauge can become "dirty" after 5 minutes of use.
    During your evac, if your micron gauge is not well above the vacuum pump (like micron gauge on top of the condenser, pump on the ground), then you can pump vacuum pump oil into your micron gauge, causing contaimnation.

It will then read incorrectly.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

It's probably the Harbor Freight vacuum pump!

Quote Originally Posted by flanders View Post
    It's probably the Harbor Freight vacuum pump!
    best news I've heard all day
    "I just think things should work properly"
    Freon is a brand name-word

If i am correct when you do a triple evacuation you pull down to approx 1500 microns then pressurize system with nitrogen to just above 0 psi to like 5 psi and then pull vacuum to 1000 microns, pressurize again, and vacuum down as far as system will go. by the sounds of it you are purging nitrogen allowing air to get back into the system briefly everytime you purge. Is this proper technique?

Quote Originally Posted by sgagne199 View Post
    If i am correct when you do a triple evacuation you pull down to approx 1500 microns then pressurize system with nitrogen to just above 0 psi to like 5 psi and then pull vacuum to 1000 microns, pressurize again, and vacuum down as far as system will go. by the sounds of it you are purging nitrogen allowing air to get back into the system briefly everytime you purge. Is this proper technique?
    there are several pieces of literature available more fully explaining the procedure ,I actually found the info in an a-coil aftermarket kit
    "I just think things should work properly"
    Freon is a brand name-word

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast