+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fan efficiency due to "crud"

Post Likes

Fan efficiency due to "crud"

It's only logical that a fan loses efficiency as it ages and airborne crap (technical term) accumulates on the insides of the fan. Are we talking 2%-5% loss of efficiency or are we possibly talking 10% (more?).
    I have inherited a Trane Voyager that I'm having a static problem with, I am down about 15% from when the unit was first commissioned, duct work looks tight and i am tempted to re-sheave, just wondered if there was any insight from the group, before i do anything. The consensus among my Tech friends is that it would only have negligible affect, is there any reference material out there?

..john

Post Likes
    it's been a long time since I was informed of efficiency decline, but I'm thinking something along the line of 8-10 % reduction in air flow with the slightest film on blower vanes.

someone will correct me shortly
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I was told by a manufacturers instructor at a course that if the blade is 5-10% filled it will decrease performance by up to 25%. Take an amp reading before and after cleaning each blade Ans you will see the differance.

Post Likes
    It will dramatically affect airflow, especially if it is a forward curved centrifugal wheel in a Archimedic scroll housing. It can be easily 25% or more depending on the amount of crud.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Check total static. Suction side negative pressure and compare to air balance report befour speeding up the fan. Return air grills may be dirty evap coil dirty stuff like that.

Post Likes
    Ever since Carrier got the great idea of putting oversized ceramic fiber gaskets on their combustion blower housings I have been dealing with the effects of fouled fan wheels contributing to premature heat exchanger failure. If you put your hand in front of the combustion blower outlet before and after cleaning the wheel you will notice a huge difference in airflow. I would imagine that this translates to larger blowers as well. York had the same issue but they thought to put in a pressure switch rather than going with the centrifugal for air proving.

Post Likes
    I've cleaned many a blower wheel (light commercial rooftop) and have had substantial improvement in airflow and comfort.

Post Likes
    I once had a system that the blower wheel was full of "crud" and had to go back for frozen up evap. coils. Checked the airflow and it seemed ok. After two service calls an answer surely had to be found. Removed the blower, cleaned the wheel and we have not had a problem since!! Note: this only happened after the unit was replaced with a new R410a split system.
    Last edited by marsmech; 09-13-2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Forgot information

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in