Unhappy solder joint to Capillary tube on reversing valve malfunctioning

Hopefully I am stating the problem correctly. In plain terms, our air conditioning unit is not cooling. After calling our HVAC guy who installed the unit May 2010, he indicated that the capillary tube on the reversing valve solder joint was malfunctioning on the compressor. We have a heat pump. This caused all of the freon to leak from the unit. I was then told that we are covered for the replacement part however, we have to pay for labor plus the cost of 14 pounds of freon installed AGAIN at the tune of $ a pound. My questions is this, is it really a malfunctioning part or was the soldered joint a manufacturers defect. And just maybe the freon leakage occurred over time. We have had the unit just 1 year 3 months. After the hefty installation cost last year I believe that our cost is too steep when we have not had the unit 2 years. Please let me know your thoughts. Not happy about this. BTW the unit is a Rheem.
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-12-2011 at 05:02 AM. Reason: price

Sounds a little fishy to me... If it were me, I would definately talk to the installing company's management and try to push them to do the right thing...

Things do happen to units such as this, but in my experience very rarely... But most of the air conditioners produced are put together by hand, welded by hand (especially the parts you are talking about) and have very few defects of this type).

Also, it may be in your best intrest to get a second opinion...

Just my 2 cents...
    If we didn't do this what would we do for fun?

Probably a defect. But doubt it leaked out over time across the 15 months its been in. When they break, they leave the refrigerant out within a few days or weeks.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Read your contract ( the one with the "hefty installation cost" ) if it says that your labor is covered for the 1 year + 3 months you have had the unit you are good. If it says that you were covered for less, you pay the installing cost. No manufacturers pay us to do the work unless you purchase a LABOR WARRANTY.

Post the manufacturer, model and serial number please. Your general geographical location as well
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Unfortunately, this is a common problem across all brands. They do not leak slowly, they let the charge go in an hour or two. You will probably find the cap tube cracked where it enters the valve body. No manufacturer covers refrigerant, unless it's doa. None of us likes this scenario you are describing, but we all run into it. Sometimes if you talk to the manager, they will work with you a little bit. The tech doesn't have any control over the situation.

If you got the extended warranty then you are golden. If you didn't, you are the cost of 14 lbs of refrigerant and labor poorer. BTW, 14 lbs is a lot of refrigerant. I am assuming this is a fairly large capacity system?
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTechNC View Post
    If you got the extended warranty then you are golden. If you didn't, you are the cost of 14 lbs of refrigerant and labor poorer. BTW, 14 lbs is a lot of refrigerant. I am assuming this is a fairly large capacity system?
    Keep in mind a 5 ton goodman comes shipped with 16 pounds, on a 410.

If you didn't get any type of labor warranty, then it's on you.
    It sucks. But your gonna just have to move on with life.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Ya, I kno. Thats why I wanted to verify it was a larger capacity system... 14 lbs on a 4 or 5 ton is ok. If it is a 2 ton, then waidaminnute.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Ya, I kno. Thats why I wanted to verify it was a larger capacity system... 14 lbs on a 4 or 5 ton is ok. If it is a 2 ton, then waidaminnute.
    "I was always told the smaller the subcool, the cooler it runs, and the more efficient. Thats why I overcharge by 50%."
    Just kidding.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

unless it's 15 SEER or higher trane lol then it very well could be 14lbs
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Quote Originally Posted by lonestarheir View Post
    Sounds a little fishy to me... If it were me, I would definately talk to the installing company's management and try to push them to do the right thing...

Things do happen to units such as this, but in my experience very rarely... But most of the air conditioners produced are put together by hand, welded by hand (especially the parts you are talking about) and have very few defects of this type).

Also, it may be in your best intrest to get a second opinion...

Just my 2 cents...
    i could see working out a fair price to do the job, but how does one sustain a business doing work for free? we have equipment breakages just over a year all the time, and yes the equipment manufacturer has their warranties beyond that first year, but that doesn't include my time and materials to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMom View Post
    Hopefully I am stating the problem correctly. In plain terms, our air conditioning unit is not cooling. After calling our HVAC guy who installed the unit May 2010, he indicated that the capillary tube on the reversing valve solder joint was malfunctioning on the compressor. We have a heat pump. This caused all of the freon to leak from the unit. I was then told that we are covered for the replacement part however, we have to pay for labor plus the cost of 14 pounds of freon installed AGAIN at the tune of $ a pound. My questions is this, is it really a malfunctioning part or was the soldered joint a manufacturers defect. And just maybe the freon leakage occurred over time. We have had the unit just 1 year 3 months. After the hefty installation cost last year I believe that our cost is too steep when we have not had the unit 2 years. Please let me know your thoughts. Not happy about this. BTW the unit is a Rheem.

parts failures can be very frustrating indeed.

as Beenthere said, if that is in fact the location of the leak, the system would leak down in a very short amount of time, thus causing an interruption of service.

unless the guy you are dealing with is the owner operator, it would probably not hurt to call and speak to a manager and see if they are willing to help you resolve this problem. It is not a technicians place or job, to adjust the bill for situations like this.

best of luck to you, and hopefully the matter can be resolved
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

I replaced a reversing valve on a 14 month old York affinity for the same exact thing . lucky for the customer we offer a 2 yr warranty on the high end units.