heat xchanger cut off or leave on
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

heat xchanger cut off or leave on

It heating time again we will all be looking at heat xchanger asking ourselves should we cut gas off if it is cracked last year my company left it up to us as tech to make that decison to cut off or leave on just want to no what you guys thank and what you are going to do this year i thank we as tech should have a common way of going about it so we can best serve the customer and not back stab each other let get togather on this guys and have a good heat season ps. What size crack is to small to cut off or is a crack a crack in gas should turn off

A crack is a crack and the safety of your customer is in your hands. Turn it off, and if the customer turns it back on after you leave the liability is in his/her hands now.

a crack is a crack.....what size of a family has to die from co poisoning before you decide on a rule?

call gas company they will shut off

Interesting topic. We have condemned any time we find a crack. I've always felt that a crack could indicate a larger problem where a whole chunk could conceivably fall out. Plus, our gas utility will red tag anything that has any crack. So it kind of puts us in a delicate position in liability terms.

Imagine my surprise when I watched Jack Rise's fall maintenance training on the ACCA website and listened to him wax eloquent about how it's the utilities' lawyers that are making the call and that many cracks can be ignored. I'm disturbed that I am either going to have to condemn furnaces that aren't actually bad, or endanger people's lives.

There is a class for cracked heat exchangers that I think I'm going to send my service manger to so I can get better answers.

Turn

the gas off at the appliance, and tag it. Document everyting on your service ticket and make sure the customer SIGNS IT! What they do after you leave you have no control over. Take a picture of the valve off and tag in place for your records.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +2

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    the gas off at the appliance, and tag it. Document everyting on your service ticket and make sure the customer SIGNS IT! What they do after you leave you have no control over. Take a picture of the valve off and tag in place for your records.
    Great Idea.. I have found a few cracked HE's..and shut them down..And never charged for the call..who's to say that if something happens..like CO poisoning that they won't say So +So worked on it...if something happened i don't think i could sleep...

Lennox Pulse, Rheem drum furnace, Trane voyager.

The only 3 I can think of right now that have a positive pressure in the heat exchanger which would allow exhaust gases to enter the airstream.

All others have a negative inside the heat ex so any leak would simply suck more air into the flue gases.

I would never walk away from a furnace I knew was cracked without tagging it and shutting it off. It really isn't very likely for someone to get CO poisoned from a cracked heat ex and I have had customers that would use their cracked furnaces over night or weekend til we could get a new one in.

How many of you guys test for CO in the flue pipe? Did you know ANSI requires you to red tag any vented appliance that is producing over 400 ppm CO (air free)? A furnace with a good HX producing high or rising CO is a lot more dangerous than a furnace with low CO and a crack in the HX. But very few techs take a CO reading.

And you would not believe some of the readings we have gotten from smokers sitting in the house..Air out the house and get a completely diffrent reading...

Speaking of red tagging... Does anyone have a source for "red tags"? Is there a company that makes a "unsafe to operate, etc." tag? Does Uline make them? We've just been using a wire tag with our company sticker on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dunkman View Post
    Speaking of red tagging... Does anyone have a source for "red tags"? Is there a company that makes a "unsafe to operate, etc." tag? Does Uline make them? We've just been using a wire tag with our company sticker on it.
    contact a local printing company. we have red tags with our company logo and information printed up along with pm stickers and company info stickers to put on units.
    Experience
    Is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

A positive attidude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.

One thing I like on the red tags we use is a line that reads something like; "In the event there is an incident, we may be required to provide your insurance company with a copy of this red tag"

This makes it more serious, obviously if something happens because they turned a unit on that was red tagged and something happens, the insurance co. would deny coverage.

A 3 part red tag is good, that way one copy you give to the homeowner, one goes on the appliance, and the original goes back to the office file.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    It really isn't very likely for someone to get CO poisoned from a cracked heat ex
    famous last words
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast