Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think he means an energy audit. Some utilties have programs that will do these for free. There are oftne professionals that do specifically these types fo audits. They will identify air leaks in your home and places where you are otherwise losing or wasting energy and give you a list of recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Those are installed in attics?
    Who said anything about an attic?

And yes, I've seen them in attics.
    Replacing one in about 2 months.
    In a mechanical room, central return, duct runs along ceiling of second floor in a sofit, vents come right off the trunk, some supplies go up to the fished parts of the attic.

Other one I remember:
    2 ton. Central return at the Air handler. Air dumps out of the bottom of the air handler, uses 2 joist spaces as their jerry rigged duct, floor grill at the other end of the finished attic.
    Turned this one down.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I think he means an energy audit. Some utilties have programs that will do these for free. There are oftne professionals that do specifically these types fo audits. They will identify air leaks in your home and places where you are otherwise losing or wasting energy and give you a list of recommendations.
    It should outline obvious opportunities to lower energy waste, thereby reducing replacement equipment size. Smaller equipment will run longer, more efficiently, quieter, more comfortably, and use less energy. (at first this may not make sense, but after some thought lightbulbs should start firing).

It should offer recommendations and where they can't facilitate, provide help defining specifications to take to bid. Since your location is not listed in your profile, it's hard to tell from here who might do this near you...
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12