Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    Here is a link that should give you a good start. Again, I would recommend one that only performs energy audits, but that shouldn't be the only criteria. Experience counts for a lot. The good thing about using one that is a Home Performance with Energy Star member, is that the program does monitor the work of its members, to a point, and do kick people out if they don't produce good work.
    http://www.kcenergy.org/HPwESContractorList.pdf

I'm not familiar with the programs in your area, but it may be that these members are actually the ones that do the low cost energy audits you mentioned earlier; if so, that is o.k, as long as you are getting a full scale energy audit, and not just a walk through by a person with a clipboard.

Good morning, tips. I spent some time last night looking into BPI, RESNET and also stumbled upon CMC Energy Services which has a searchable database. And I visited some websites including Efficiency Kansas. I learned that our utility company apparently uses at least some "good" people because I quickly found a BPI certified independent auditor whose website I had visited earlier. That BPI certified auditor does the blower door test, thermography, and some other testing to produce a lengthy printout of the various leakages in the home; it's not a walk through. The auditor tells you how to fix the problems yourself and also suggests companies if you want that. Amusingly, one of the companies on her example printout we had used for our Soft-light replacement windows. So we're getting somewhere fast, and thanks to you. I hope our conversation gets other homeowners thinking. I don't know about other utility energy programs but this one appears to be a good thing and genuine deal for the homeowner. I'm guessing the utility company is making up the cost to the auditors. Because its has quite a list of interested participants.

Oh, the BPI certified auditor I want is on the contractor list from kcenergy.org. Yay!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123