Post Likes

Heat Pump Breaker Warms then Trips

I am having issues with my Bryant Heat Pump in AC mode. I've called a tech in to look at it but was not satisfied with his recommendations. It has started about a weak ago. Noticed the ac not cooling as it should. Next day noticed the breaker tripped. I reset it and it worked for a bit then noticed a little while later.. same thing. Here's all the info that I can think of...

HeatPump: Bryant 265ANA042 3.5Ton
    Furnace: Bryant 355CAV042
    Thermostat: Bryant Evolution

Heat Pump is just over 1 year old, house is just over 1 year old
    Breaker trips more frequently in warmer weather (28C/ 82F). We have been having warmer that usual weather of late.
    Circuit Breaker is 40Amp, is warm (not hot) when heat pump is running
    72 -Thermal Cut Out (7 events)
    82 -Thermal Lock Out (1 event) message in service menu
    Furnace (air handler) still blows without heat pump, although filter is very dirty. I will replace asap.
    Tech mentioned: start up draw is 35amps, running is 9-10amps, everything else seams fine. Mentioned that I should take a look at breaker, possible hard start kit.

One last thing, I accidentally shut off the main breaker a day before I noticed the first tripped breaker. Don't know if that may have messed up the thermostat settings.

Thanks for your help

Post Likes
    As per the AOP Rules only Professional Members * can reply with
    advice
    to the OP. Anyone may post and ask questions. They may even
    question the * member answer but not give advice or expand on the
    advice given. Please read these rules for a complete understanding. AOP Rules
    For those in our industry who wish to become a Professional Member, please click here and follow the
    instructions. Apply for Professional
    Membership
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-11-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: No *
    I've discovered a natural law - everything gets progressively worse. Things only break down and become depleted. Life isn't worth living and everything is going to hell.

Death is the messiah. Everything else is irrelevant and arbitrary.

Post Likes
    10 amps sounds low for a 3.5 ton, actually.
    I've discovered a natural law - everything gets progressively worse. Things only break down and become depleted. Life isn't worth living and everything is going to hell.

Death is the messiah. Everything else is irrelevant and arbitrary.

Post Likes
    next time this happens do not reset the breaker , leave it off you cant hurt any thing that way.

turn the thermostat to off , and call the technician , a different one if needed.

if your not sure who else to call , phone a friend , family member , or even go online to a local "watch" list.

do not reset the breaker it could do more damage , it could possibly even be a defunct breaker and cause a fire. please get qualified help and return here with the findings , if you'd like thx

Post Likes
    Breakers go bad. Had one a few weeks ago. The more it trips the weaker it will get.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Post Likes
    if the breaker is tripping and the unit is ok call a electrician to inspect circuit breaker and wires to the unit