Heat Pump Breaker Warms then Trips

I am having issues with my Bryant Heat Pump in AC mode. I've called a tech in to look at it but was not satisfied with his recommendations. It has started about a weak ago. Noticed the ac not cooling as it should. Next day noticed the breaker tripped. I reset it and it worked for a bit then noticed a little while later.. same thing. Here's all the info that I can think of...

HeatPump: Bryant 265ANA042 3.5Ton
    Furnace: Bryant 355CAV042
    Thermostat: Bryant Evolution

Heat Pump is just over 1 year old, house is just over 1 year old
    Breaker trips more frequently in warmer weather (28C/ 82F). We have been having warmer that usual weather of late.
    Circuit Breaker is 40Amp, is warm (not hot) when heat pump is running
    72 -Thermal Cut Out (7 events)
    82 -Thermal Lock Out (1 event) message in service menu
    Furnace (air handler) still blows without heat pump, although filter is very dirty. I will replace asap.
    Tech mentioned: start up draw is 35amps, running is 9-10amps, everything else seams fine. Mentioned that I should take a look at breaker, possible hard start kit.

One last thing, I accidentally shut off the main breaker a day before I noticed the first tripped breaker. Don't know if that may have messed up the thermostat settings.

Thanks for your help

As per the AOP Rules only Professional Members * can reply with
    advice
    to the OP. Anyone may post and ask questions. They may even
    question the * member answer but not give advice or expand on the
    advice given. Please read these rules for a complete understanding. AOP Rules
    For those in our industry who wish to become a Professional Member, please click here and follow the
    instructions. Apply for Professional
    Membership
    Last edited by beenthere; 09-11-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: No *
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

10 amps sounds low for a 3.5 ton, actually.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

next time this happens do not reset the breaker , leave it off you cant hurt any thing that way.

turn the thermostat to off , and call the technician , a different one if needed.

if your not sure who else to call , phone a friend , family member , or even go online to a local "watch" list.

do not reset the breaker it could do more damage , it could possibly even be a defunct breaker and cause a fire. please get qualified help and return here with the findings , if you'd like thx

Breakers go bad. Had one a few weeks ago. The more it trips the weaker it will get.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

if the breaker is tripping and the unit is ok call a electrician to inspect circuit breaker and wires to the unit