Help with thermostat

My mother just purchased a home with a Goodman unit Mod.#GSH130301AB with a air handler #ARUF30301AB. It has a Mod.#ACONT401AN21MAA American Standard thermostat. Now the problem, she;s 87 yrs. old and don't see well. The thermostat display is so small she can't tell if its in A/C mode, heat, Off, or em. heat. Could you recommend a thermostat, something with a larger display or something that would work better for her? We don't need to have a programmable thermostat for her. The color code on the thermostat is: Red=R, Black=W2, White=W, Yellow=Y, Green=G, Orange=O, Blue=B. I would like to have something that I can wire back as per above without any issues. Thanks for any help.

The problem is the only thermostats out there for the visually impared are talking thermostats or the magnigiers for the old round T-87's. They all still have the small mode swith. I would recommend getting her a thermostat with auto change over. It will be a digital thermostat with a differental between heating and cooling. If she wants it warmer all she has to do is push the arrow up untill the desired temperature is reached and the thermostat will automatically switch over to heating.

Quote Originally Posted by dennyandnancy View Post
    My mother just purchased a home with a Goodman unit Mod.#GSH130301AB with a air handler #ARUF30301AB. It has a Mod.#ACONT401AN21MAA American Standard thermostat. Now the problem, she;s 87 yrs. old and don't see well. The thermostat display is so small she can't tell if its in A/C mode, heat, Off, or em. heat. Could you recommend a thermostat, something with a larger display or something that would work better for her? We don't need to have a programmable thermostat for her. The color code on the thermostat is: Red=R, Black=W2, White=W, Yellow=Y, Green=G, Orange=O, Blue=B. I would like to have something that I can wire back as per above without any issues. Thanks for any help.
    So you want to DIY your moms stat. First you need to learn what the R,B,O,Y jazz means. Next good luck finding a stat worth a darn in a place you can buy it. and I mean literally no messing with you, Iv'e checked them out. Junk for the money. I have had to come behind a many Harry Homeowner who bought a stat wired her up and bamm. Now he is dropping $$$ in my pocket to fix his mistake, and still bough one of my stats.

Save yourself a headache and possible major issues and call a company, tell them what you want and end result is saved money.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Why not have it on auto mode with a timer in the outdoor unit to start + stop ?
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    So you want to DIY your moms stat. First you need to learn what the R,B,O,Y jazz means. Next good luck finding a stat worth a darn in a place you can buy it. and I mean literally no messing with you, Iv'e checked them out. Junk for the money. I have had to come behind a many Harry Homeowner who bought a stat wired her up and bamm. Now he is dropping $$$ in my pocket to fix his mistake, and still bough one of my stats.

Save yourself a headache and possible major issues and call a company, tell them what you want and end result is saved money.
    Ebay and amazon will sell any homeowner any tstat we can get (and most anything else we can buy, including but not limited to units and refrigerant) .

I agree with the rest of the post, the risk of messing up the system is not worth the few dollars saved, call in a pro.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

2 threads on the same topic?
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

I like the White Rodgers 90 series, can't buy it at the home store, pro only. If you buy on eBay it's all yours if it doesn't work..

have a contractor install a focus pro 5000 with the large screen and set it for auto change over if you diy and let the smoke out of the controls it will be way expensive

hang a magnifying glass by the t-stat

the 401 is a really small screen compared to relative size of t-stat
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Threads merged. Please don't make duplicate threads, thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Look at the Emerson (White Rogers) EZ Reader. One button each for heat, cool, fan only, and off across the bottom. Two larger buttons for warmer and cooler on the right side (along with two small buttons for programming). 1" tall current temperature reading. Comes configured for full manual operation, but can be reconfigured as 7 day programmable. If memory serves, it'll handle three heat and two cool stages as well.