Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The 16i isn't the best unit for capacity and efficiency. Often, the unloading scroll isn't the greatest either but looks like in the XR15 5 ton, it is much better.

Another thread asked about the 16i vs a Rheem RPRL. I pointed out that the RPQL single stage blew away the 2 stage in everything but SEER. I looked at the XR15 and XL15i heat pumps, they weren't as impressive as the Rheem. Key is finding the best match.

Of course, we don't know what furnace the OP is getting. Hopefully it isn't using an existing one! Then he'd be lots lower in every category.

Quote Originally Posted by adamwhatley View Post
    Look at this Trane systems, they are all 5 ton that will meet 16 seer.

A\C: model # 4TTX5061E1000a
    Coil: model # 4TXCD063BC3A
    Furnace: model # TUD2C100B9V5

A/C model # 4TTR5061E1000A
    Coil: model # 4TXCD063BC3A
    Furnace: model # TUD2C100B9V5

1st one is XL15i complete system

2nd is XR15 complete system (which is the same as XL16i with 1 compressor 2 stages.

Both are great systems when installed properly that meet the tax credit/seer ratings you are looking for. There are a few others but this are the ones we install the most of.
    spot on
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

I agree with you about 16i with 1 compressor that unloads as it is not the best. On that same note if it is sized properly and installed right they do a good job. If I had to choose as a average customer between the XL 15, XR 15 and XL 16 systems. I would go with the XR 15 as these is what I installed in my home. The seer/EER numbers are in favor of the XR 15 as they are more then likly using the same indoor coil furnace & or air handler and hit the same numbers if bot better.

Know the XL line is a better looking system, quieter, and has 2 more years compressor warranty. So really it all boils down to how much a person wants to pay. It like a lexus verus a Toyota! Same motor one is just dressed up and had a few more balls & whistles on it. Again my proper sized and installed XR 15 system works great and I am happy with my choose. Nothing against XL15i system as we sale alot of this systems to due to special promotions offered by Trane.

My cousin got a bid from a contractor on his new house. Bid was for a 16i. It got 16 SEER. The XR13 got 14 SEER and was $4digits less. The 16i would be in the scrapyard long before he recovered that 4 digits with today's or even tomorrow's electric rates. Even the XR15 for 1 more SEER point wouldn't make sense for him. Sometimes, basic is best. For Detroit, the XV95 is the way to go for him just like the XV80 is the way to go in a mild climate.

Now, hopefully the variable speed scroll will start popping up more places!

What is a down to method?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12