Brazing brass distributor body to a copper TXV port

I need to braze a large (12 port) distributor block to a TXV body. I was wondering if anyone has any input on the pro's/con's of the different joining methods? I've silver soldered smaller distributors in heat pumps and have also used Stay-Brite 8 on occasion as well as brazing rod. Just looking for some other opinions. The system this assembly will be installed in uses r-22 and this joint would obviously be on the low pressure side of the valve. I'm concerned about the amount of heat I would have to use to get 45% silver to flow with a brass distributor this large. Thanks for any input.

45% and a rosebud.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

stay brite #8
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

I have done it both ways and prefer staybrite 8, it takes a little longer cause fluxing and cleaning but it flows good and its way cheaper the 45%, another pricey alternative is to use flux coated 56% rods.

I always use 56% and flux w/ a 3" pipe section connected to distributer then its just a simple, quick copper to copper joint at txv w/ standard rod. This greatly reduces the chance of overheating valve. Do the dist. first then connect valve.

Quote Originally Posted by codgy View Post
    I always use 56% and flux w/ a 3" pipe section connected to distributer then its just a simple, quick copper to copper joint at txv w/ standard rod. This greatly reduces the chance of overheating valve. Do the dist. first then connect valve.
    Ditto, if you have the room.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Brazing Distributor

Thanks to all who replied. I think I'm going to use 45%. Thanks for the input.

soft soldering (not recommend for heat pump). It has been done for 1/2 century.

Quote Originally Posted by oneofthesedays View Post
    I need to braze a large (12 port) distributor block to a TXV body. I was wondering if anyone has any input on the pro's/con's of the different joining methods? I've silver soldered smaller distributors in heat pumps and have also used Stay-Brite 8 on occasion as well as brazing rod. Just looking for some other opinions. The system this assembly will be installed in uses r-22 and this joint would obviously be on the low pressure side of the valve. I'm concerned about the amount of heat I would have to use to get 45% silver to flow with a brass distributor this large. Thanks for any input.
    I use stay brite 8 it's as good and as strong as the others with less heat. Also if you want or have to pull that valve down the road it's easier.

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Sta-brite 8. Flux on then wipe off and solder as norm, damp rag will help keep txv cool. All the training modules at the hall are assembled with it from the factory.