nailed a/c pipe during roofing - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    I can't imagine a roofing company taking responsibility for the unforeseen. The original installer should have never put the line set against the roof decking. If for some crazy reason he had to put the line set there then he should have protected it in some sort of way otherwise don't do it. (put it inside a steel conduit, etc.)

The best solution in my opinion is to relocate that portion of the line set which is against the roof deck. So this won't happen again during the next re-roofing. Thank you very much
    You're definitely right that the line set should have never been there in the first place, but not withstanding, the roofer should know his working conditions. I recently had a commercial roof replaced, and the contractor mapped every conduit tied to the roof deck, and made sure they didn't puncture anything below.

The unfortunate part is that the roofer had the line set exposed, and had the opportunity to repair it correctly, but ended up doing a poor repair job, supposedly under the advice of a professional HVAC contractor.

What should have happened was the work should have stopped on that portion of the roof, and a qualified HVAC contractor called to do the repair.

What would have happened if you were installing an underground chiller loop. Markout was called, nothing on owner's site plans. You hit a conduit that belongs to the property owner. He didn't know it was there, you didn't know it was there, markout doesn't do private utilities.

Who pays? The property owner does. It's an "unforseen condition" and is covered in most construction contractors. Not the contractor's fault.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

While I do not blame the roofer for hitting the freon line. Accidents happen all the time. He at least had the gumption to let you know it was hit, rather than cover it back up, move on and let you figure it out down the line. I do blame him for not getting it fixed correctly by at least calling a semi-qualified a/c guy out. It's like when we're doing a changeout in an attic. We let people know sheetrock damage could result from the physical act of moving around the equipment and we will not be responsible for repairs. If we fall through the sheetrock, we will fix that. But not incidental damage.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    While I do not blame the roofer for hitting the freon line. Accidents happen all the time. He at least had the gumption to let you know it was hit, rather than cover it back up, move on and let you figure it out down the line. I do blame him for not getting it fixed correctly by at least calling a semi-qualified a/c guy out. It's like when we're doing a changeout in an attic. We let people know sheetrock damage could result from the physical act of moving around the equipment and we will not be responsible for repairs. If we fall through the sheetrock, we will fix that. But not incidental damage.
    in fact, i found out A/C was not working and pinpoint the location of pipe nailed while they were doing installation. It was very easy guess for me even though I had to crawl my attic to confirm. However, I couldn't get them to understand until the sale guy showed up since I couldn't find anybody speaking English. Well. He said later they knew when they hit the pipe and added some patch. I told him to stop and had some A/C tech fix it but ignored or lied or misunderstood. He just soldered himself and moved on. I found out this a day after.

I was able to call a friend of mine and got it fixed today. He was small guy and was able to get in there magically. well. I paid him extra anyway and It turned out it was soft soldered. What he told me was he did a job like mine twice this week and roofer paid all since it happens fairly often and they know they are supposed to be careful when they nailed the specific area.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123