Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACTechNC View Post
    Not being a roofer, I dont know these things, but do they even keep oxy-acetelyene torches with them? If they soft-soldered it with plumbing solder or something like that then they DEFINATELY need to come back. I just cant imagine the average roofer having the proper torch and silver-solder with them to repair the breach properly in the first place, never mind the nitrogen, filter-dryer, micron check, ect...
    well. I am told it's not soft soldering but aldo don't know what kind of soldering was done. The A/C guy who showed up says he heard it was hard soldering. He didn't bother to install line filter and didn't think it's needed.

He checked vacuum for 15-20 mins and he thinks it seems okay as far as he can see but not sure if that will hod since he didn't agree the way it was done. However, he thinks it will be okay....

well...Thanks for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    I seriously doubt the repair was done properly.
    I would get it in writing that the repairs were done to industry standards - brazing, filter drier, nitrogen, deep vacuum, and re-charge to specs.
    Without those procedures, you could have several issues down the road.
    Keep in mind it wasn't the roofing company's fault in the first place - the line should never have been that close to the roof deck.
    what kind of problem should I expect?

Maybe none. Then again, continuous loss of refrigerant, compressor failure down the road, improper cooling, reduced system life the list goes on. Contact your homeowners insurance company and explain the situation. At the VERY LEAST, there should have been a new filter dryer installed.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

the roofers i know use lead solder or lead bar to solder. that stuff likes to run easily. depending on size of hole and heat applied could be inside line too.

Just because it will hold under vacuum does not necessarily mean it will hold under pressure... I would be quite concerned about this if I were you. Maybe the roofers did right, maybe they didnt, but to have closed up the hole before you or an independent pro can check it was bad bad bad....
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTechNC View Post
    Just because it will hold under vacuum does not necessarily mean it will hold under pressure... I would be quite concerned about this if I were you. Maybe the roofers did right, maybe they didnt, but to have closed up the hole before you or an independent pro can check it was bad bad bad....
    I am very very concerned but I just don't know what to do. The pipe is cold as much as it used to even though the temp from vent seems cold. ( this amazed me).

How do you fix the pipe like this. Where the hole is in very limited space in the attic of the second story house (very tall). Do you have to go to roof and remove decking like I thought?....I don't think anybody can squeeze in the attic to work.....:Let's say I want it redone. Then How do I expect you to fix?..I just need some idea to talk to this roofer again..I am thinking of asking for 1-2 year warranty for leakink since they did it.

i have always cut out and replaced all piping to make a more accessible replacement of the problem

Quote Originally Posted by wogpa67 View Post
    i have always cut out and replaced all piping to make a more accessible replacement of the problem
    That was what I was thinking also.
    Is the line set exposed, running down the outside of the house?
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    That was what I was thinking also.
    Is the line set exposed, running down the outside of the house?
    no..it goes to inside of the brick wall. where the hole on the pipe is about 1-2 feet from the beginning to the brick wall.

Well, I just learned my A/C quitted working again....Just warm air. I guess it didn't hold the pressure like some said. It lasted about 4 hrs and A/C didn't kick in very much today though. it's 80 outside and it's unit for downstairs.

very said Friday night............

Limited options for repairing the hole. Because of the location 2 options, #1 remove shingles and decking to gain access for proper repair. #2 have new refrigerations lines run externally. Both options require proper proceedures including evacuation of the system, new FILTER DRYER and recharge to proper operating specs.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

I can't imagine a roofing company taking responsibility for the unforeseen. The original installer should have never put the line set against the roof decking. If for some crazy reason he had to put the line set there then he should have protected it in some sort of way otherwise don't do it. (put it inside a steel conduit, etc.)

The best solution in my opinion is to relocate that portion of the line set which is against the roof deck. So this won't happen again during the next re-roofing. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

In a way, it failing now is a blessing. Had it held for a while everyone would start pointing fingers at each other and you would be stuck in them middle. Reasonable folks would have to conclude that the repair didn't hold. Either the line set needs to be re-run (if possible) to get it off the roof decking or the roofers need to come out and take apart the work they did and allow access for a pro of your choosing to get up there and make the repair. The damaged section needs to be cut out and a new piece coupled in. Make sure of filter dryer, nitrogen use during brazing, high-pressure nitrogen leak check (250 psi at least), a proper vacuum (500 microns or less) and then a re-charge. That should fix you right back up.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

How about removing the sheetrock or plaster ceiling below the leak and making a repair to the pipe then the ceiling. Then repainting the whole ceiling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast