Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

nailed a/c pipe during roofing

while I was getting new roof, I found freon was all leaked out from the system and later it turned out the nail used by roofer punctured the pipe in the attic.

The pipe was right beneth of decking when the pipe was turning to downstairs from attic. I have split system (coil in the attic and condensor outside).

My problem is this. After I told him, they just patched the hole they found. They told me some A/C technician would come and solder but it didn't happen. They used the temporary patch and solder themself. They just finished the roofing without A/C technician looking at it. The area with the hold can't be accessed without removing all shingles and deck. The roofing company said someone will come to recharge freons now.

Is it something I can trust what they were saying? From what I read here and there, it's not a way to fix the hole.

Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

Oh..it's thick pipe not thin one that gets hot when A/C is on. it's the pipe that gets cold with a hole and I have 3 1/2 Bryant in Texas

Can't get to this area now? That will be interesting.

An A/C company should have done the work, not them. Either the hole should have been brazed shut or cut out and coupled back together. Then a new refrigerant line filter be installed. System pressure tested with nitrogen. Vacuum pulled and confirmed by a micron gauge and finally the system be refilled.

John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    I hope that the roofer is insured. They should have a liscened a/c company come and do the proper repair. It may be a hassle to the roofer to remove the decking for the repair, but it would be better that them buying you a new a/c system because of an improper repair. Be sure they change your liquid line filter.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

I just talked to them again but the said they followed what A/C technician told them to do...

At this point, is it just best to hope the soldered pipe will last?.I will tell A/C tech to change liquid filter....

Can you tell me what that is and where they change?..I have no idea what that is.

Also, since they are insured, is it something I can be covered?

You shouldn't pay a penny! Can't help you on price. Get a G O O D contractor out and send them the bill or withhold from the roofing bill.

We did have a fight on one a couple years ago. The tubing was against the roof on a really low slung roof. The roofer maintained that the tubing should not have been and wouldn't pay. Don't recall how it came out. We fixed it, somebody paid us.

I seriously doubt the repair was done properly.
    I would get it in writing that the repairs were done to industry standards - brazing, filter drier, nitrogen, deep vacuum, and re-charge to specs.
    Without those procedures, you could have several issues down the road.
    Keep in mind it wasn't the roofing company's fault in the first place - the line should never have been that close to the roof deck.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    Your liquid line filter can be located in a couple different places. It will be between the condensing unit and your house on the smaller pipe. (most common) Inside the condensing unit itself, or just before the inlet to your evaporator coil. It will probably be about the size of a soda can. It is important that this gets changed. It catches debris and moisture. So since your system was breached a new one is in order.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

they said they'd take care of it.

My problem is that the soldering they did can't be trusted. If that is stilll open I'd have someone checked out but they covered with new decking and shingle already.

Where they nailed is very narrow and corned space and I don't think anybody can get to it to work on unless decking is removed.

Just get the roofing companies insurance information. Tell them they are responsible to repair the correct way. If they refuse, just call your homeowners and let them fight it out, thats why you have homeowners. You need a certificate of insurance from the roofer, if you didn't get one at the beginning when you signed a contract with them and now you find out they don't have insurance......you lost. Sorry, but always get that info.
    Always here

I would be interested to find out if they used solder for hvac or used soft solder for plumbing. If they used hvac solder. It should be fine. If they used soft solder, you could be screwed later. AFter that I would worry about filter, vacuuming, charging, etc...
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Some areas have licensing requirements on who can do what kind of work. A general contractor who has one of his hvac contractors do that kind of work is one thing, having a roofer with no hvac certification or license do it is an entirely different matter. Tough call.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Not being a roofer, I dont know these things, but do they even keep oxy-acetelyene torches with them? If they soft-soldered it with plumbing solder or something like that then they DEFINATELY need to come back. I just cant imagine the average roofer having the proper torch and silver-solder with them to repair the breach properly in the first place, never mind the nitrogen, filter-dryer, micron check, ect...
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Most construction contracts say that the contractor is not responsible for "unforseen conditions". An AC line attached to the underside of the roof deck in a location that can't be accessed is "unforseen" and unexpected.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast