Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by garya505 View Post
    You can use any thermostat you want, if you use a separate dual fuel controller (a.k.a. fossil fuel kit).
    Wait. I hadn't even thought about this, and certainly didn't ask my installer about it. He can just add a totally independent, no-strings attached dual fuel kit that will switch it over regardless of the thermostat?

(This would inhibit my ability to track the switchover on my computer, but I suppose I can't have everything...)

if you want to save $ heating/cooling your house tighten the structure. setback and big brother control will not save you $ unless you feel like having an uncomfortable home

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    I apologize I read the installers guide up to the part that said 'not compatible with dual fuel" and then stoped. Under that statement states" it is compatible with a fossil fuel kit added".
    I have installed these and yes, they are duel fuel capable without an external fossil fuel kit.

Quote Originally Posted by haveitall View Post
    Wait. I hadn't even thought about this, and certainly didn't ask my installer about it. He can just add a totally independent, no-strings attached dual fuel kit that will switch it over regardless of the thermostat?

(This would inhibit my ability to track the switchover on my computer, but I suppose I can't have everything...)
    My advice would be to not use a seperate duel fuel kit. Just get the stat that can do it without. Less wiring, fewer connections, less components to fail etc..

Hmm The benefit is _ _ _ _ _? 40 To 400 +/ -

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post

As for the savings this can range from $50 a year to $300 a year it depends on gas rates vs electric rates, your heat loss your outdoor temperature and your indoor temperature along with the efficiencys of both units.

Where are you located?
    OP apparently did not see inquiry about location ?!

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
    BUILDING ENVELOPE
    BUILDING ENVELOPE
    EQUIPMENT

GAS RATE + ELECTRIC RATE + Weather + Current Costs

needed to determine potential savings.

The savings in TX are not the same as IN Montana Or WA.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

having said that ..

http://www.hvacopcost.com/

is a nice
    Quick & Dirty
    estimate

Link provides a "back of the envelop" type calc on savings for some situtations but, it does not really address the dual fuel operating costs.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12