Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane Z-wave and Dual Fuel

Hello,

I currently have a gas furnace (regular vent - not high-efficiency) and 3 Ton Goodman heat pump (wired for a/c only). I spoke with my installer about having it changed over to work as a dual fuel, with a Trane TZEMT400BB3 thermostat. He doesn't have any experience with that dual fuel kit - though he didn't seem to think it would be an issue. Has anyone here installed the kit? Anything I should know? I really want a z-Wave thermostat, and this appears to be the only one around that does dual fuel.

I am also interested in knowing how much I would expect to save by running dual fuel as opposed to natural gas only. Is there some sort of napkin-calculation I could use to see how long it will take me to recoup the install cost?

Thanks!

I do not think this will do dual fuel

The TZEMT IS a dual fuel thermostat and can accept an optional outdoor temperature sensor.

You ask how much you will save running dual fuel but I am a little confused here, why is your heat pump wired for AC only? As for the savings this can range from $50 a year to $300 a year it depends on gas rates vs electric rates, your heat loss your outdoor temperature and your indoor temperature along with the efficiencys of both units.

Where are you located?
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Why use thsi Trane thermostat? Why not jsut use a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ that's often recommendd on here. Its' very flexible and doesn't require additonal wires at the thermostat itself. You can pruchase it with an optional outdoor thermostat.

I was just writing the same thing! Honeywell IAQ - aka Vision pro 9000, or even a Honeywell Prestige. Both will handle a duel fuel set up, and look good too!

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Why use thsi Trane thermostat? Why not jsut use a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ that's often recommendd on here. Its' very flexible and doesn't require additonal wires at the thermostat itself. You can pruchase it with an optional outdoor thermostat.
    I think the OP states his reason right here...
    Quote Originally Posted by haveitall View Post
    I really want a z-Wave thermostat, and this appears to be the only one around that does dual fuel.

Thanks!
    Motoguy are you familiar with a Z-Wave thermostat, it is a device that lets you connect into other devices in the house such as lights, outlets, your thermostat, cameras, door locks and much more. This is then all controlled via smart phone or internet portal from anywhere in the world. The Trane system is compatible with many although is designed for the Schlage Link software.

So no an IAQ is not a good option for the OP because the only need it takes care of is dual fuel and that can be done much less expensive with other dual fuel thermostats.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    I think the OP states his reason right here...

Motoguy are you familiar with a Z-Wave thermostat, it is a device that lets you connect into other devices in the house such as lights, outlets, your thermostat, cameras, door locks and much more. This is then all controlled via smart phone or internet portal from anywhere in the world. The Trane system is compatible with many although is designed for the Schlage Link software.

So no an IAQ is not a good option for the OP because the only need it takes care of is dual fuel and that can be done much less expensive with other dual fuel thermostats.
    The Honeywell IAQ has a Module for remote access as well. Its called the TAM ;-) yea you cant access it over the internet, but you can with a phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Maytag Man View Post
    The Honeywell IAQ has a Module for remote access as well. Its called the TAM ;-) yea you cant access it over the internet, but you can with a phone call.
    The Telephone Access Module has NO capability compared to a Z-Wave device, for example on my house I have Schlage door locks that can be remotely opened and codes changed remotely. This is what Z-Wave is, if you want to know the future, go research it.

I just hate how this website thinks that the IAQ is the only thermostat for everyones needs and it is echoed in this thread, two people suggest a thermostat that doesn't offer the features ASKED for by the OP, people need to realized that each solution is different and while yes the IAQ is a great stat, it is not an end all solution, does it have energy monitoring of the Trane XL950? Nope, how about 5 day weather forcasting and communcation capability with proprietary products? Nope. There are many solutions and this solution should not been answered with the same old stuff people on this forum keep pushing.
    /Rant

I am not meaning to be rude to you or Motoguy, I just wish people answer with actual solutions instead of two stage, dual fuel, with an IAQ solves everything(so long as the contractor did a load calc, BPI audit and checked ductwork)

"I really want a z-Wave thermostat, and this appears to be the only one around that does dual fuel."[/SIZE][/U][/B]

SkyHeating, May it be a better thermostat, sure. But we were informing the HO that there's other options for thermostats out there that will control a DF. I think you may need to read what he posted. No need to get yourself all worked up over a personal obsession or favorite product!

Personally I am not even a fan of the Trane Z-Wave, at $8.99 a month it can be spendy but if it meets a certain need then yes it is the only dual fuel Z-Wave that I know of, however there may be more soon and the XL950 should be z-wave in another quarter or two(according to Trane so maybe by 2013 LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    I do not think this will do dual fuel
    I apologize I read the installers guide up to the part that said 'not compatible with dual fuel" and then stoped. Under that statement states" it is compatible with a fossil fuel kit added".

You can use any thermostat you want, if you use a separate dual fuel controller (a.k.a. fossil fuel kit).

Ahh - Skyheating -

The trick is that the iLink (9 bucks a month) isn't actually needed. I have a Vera which is a Zwave controller that is accessible over the internet, phone, etc. without a service fee.

I also have a Schlage lock, lights etc.

Part of the point is that you can set scenes that do things depending on what is going on in the house. For example, if I make the wife go into the basement to watch a movie after the kids are in bed, as soon as I hit the lights in the basement, the thermostat will pump up the heat a degree or two. Or, when I open the garage door when I arrive home, it will change the thermostat temp. etc. etc.

(This is of course totally overkill, I could walk upstairs and change thermostat by hand, but what fun is that?!?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast